MHP Development - Posted by Scott

Posted by Shawn Sisco on January 05, 2011 at 11:20:48:

Contact a local civil engineering company. Keep in in mind that this process is somewhat political - so find out the political philosophy of your engineering co. ownership and select accordingly, as to to the party affiliation of your states governor.
Otherwise approval will be much more difficult and expensive.

MHP Development - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on January 05, 2011 at 10:07:17:

Hi All! Great site. From all the info I have read I am still having trouble finding a solution for sewage for developing a small tract of land (5-10acres) if I want to have 20-30 homes/Rv pads on it. Anyone have a solution?
Septic requirements are .5 acre to 1 acre sites which would kill the numbers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Re: MHP Development - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on January 05, 2011 at 19:20:50:

It is because of the kinds of reasons given by Dr. B and Shawn that Ray Alcorn refers to current mobile home parks and Gov’t created monopolies.

It is far faster, easier and less costly to buy an existing park, especially when you begin to include the cost of infill.

Tony

Re: MHP Development - Posted by Dr. B. (OH)

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on January 05, 2011 at 18:41:09:

Scott,
Your experience reflects that of most of the country. Therefore, extremely few new parks have been built in the last 10 yrs. Besides the sewage issue, have you checked out the unique and onerous requirements for a mobile home park in your state AND county?

For ANY SFH in our area, requirements here are a minimum of 3/4 acre plus an engineered septic system of $20-30K each which also kills the numbers. That is for individually deeded lots only. In many places new mobile homes are not even allowed, much less, a park. Three or more mobile homes owned by the same owner, even on separate lots is legally considered to be a MHP and should be licensed as such. It is actually only enforced when the lots are attached to one another. An Alternative for a park is a $800K-$1M sewage treatment plant and have it licensed and regularly inspected by the sate.

The only sensible solution I see to this is buying that tract of land, placing one double wide home per .5 acre+, and sell/rent as needed. I would be sure there is a sensible way to individually deed each of the homes with access, if it became necessary in the future. Bernd has done a wonderful job of this with his son in TX.

Steve