mh floors - Posted by sean

Posted by sean on August 05, 2003 at 20:24:24:

Thank you very very much.

mh floors - Posted by sean

Posted by sean on August 02, 2003 at 18:27:18:

Hi, I have looked at a mh but has water damage from water heater. it dosent look that bad to me, but its under the cabnets thats how far the water went. About 5 sq ft.

Re: mh floors - Posted by Dave Texas

Posted by Dave Texas on August 05, 2003 at 05:21:57:

Move the cabinets, cut along the wall with a circular saw. About an inch or so from the wall. Cut all around the bad area. Tear it out. Cut new piece. At each seam,put a joiner piece under if no joist. Then glue and screw it down.

Re: mh floors - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on August 04, 2003 at 07:40:42:

Sean,
What are you asking here?

1. Should you buy it?? Depends on the price you can negotiate.
  2. Cost to repair it? Depends, are you going to do the work yourself (do you have any experience at this stuff?) or sub it out?

Is this for investment or to live in. If it’s an investment, is it in a park? Have you talked to the park manager first (the best deal in the world will fall apart if you don’t have the PM on your team).

In the future you’ll probably get a better response if you provide some background and details.
I traded my crystal ball for a 1968 - 12 x 50.
All the best, Lyal

Re: mh floors - Posted by sean

Posted by sean on August 04, 2003 at 21:08:36:

Sorry I wasn’t to clear I was looking into a 1994 commador. The floor has some water damage from the water heater in utility room and kitchen under cabnets, are they like working on a reguler house joist or is it more involved. Thanks for any info. Sean

Re: mh floors - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on August 05, 2003 at 09:30:58:

Sean,
No more involved than a house. The problem with a leaking water heater is, in many cases, you need to pull it out to replace the floor under it. No big deal but a PITA for sure.
Under cabinets can be tricky. Most mobile home cabinets are built in place out of particle board etc. When you start to dismantle them, sometimes they just fall apart so be careful.
I (well, my handyman now) usually cut back to the closest joist and square off the opening, nail or screw 2x4 plates onto the joists for the patch to rest on, add 2x4 pieces between the joists for the edges that run perpindicular to the joists and cut and screw in a 3/4 inch OSB patch (called “sturdi-board” here, about 11 bucks a sheet and stands up to water really well).
For a patch without cabinets etc involved, it takes about an hour to do.
All the best, Lyal