Master Negotiators Only - Posted by GerryH

Posted by Tony-VA on December 17, 2001 at 15:26:41:

They are weeding themselves out for you.

Respond with, “Without inspecting your home, I cannot possibly make you an offer.”

“But if you are serious about selling your home, I will need to know the price.”

Perhaps some qualifying questions first, “Sounds like a nice home, why are you selling?”

They will usually give you some retail dream price. Simply ask them how they came up with that number.

If they aren’t motivated then don’t waste your time talking to them. Move on to the next deal.

I have only encountered such objections on rare occassions. It may have something to do with how you are presenting the questions. Get that rapport going and then work the questions.

Best Wishes,

Tony-VA

Master Negotiators Only - Posted by GerryH

Posted by GerryH on December 17, 2001 at 15:06:26:

I am having trouble with the whole Lonnie sale price reduction strategy as I have run into several people who simply won’t name thier price or thier lowest cash price. They keep saying “what do you think it is worth”. I am also finding out that these people typically don’t call me back after I come up with my wholesale price I am willing to pay. Any suggestions or are these folks simply not motivated and using me to give them a value on their MH. Also, if they are using me, anyway to weed them out BEFORE I drive all the way to see the MH. Thanks.

Re: Master Negotiators Only - Posted by lyal

Posted by lyal on December 17, 2001 at 18:10:31:

Not sure of the scenerio here but, the first rule is to negotiate from a position of strength. If these are people you have screened on the phone and you have not ascertained their level of motivation you are out of sequence. As Tony said, you need to use the “nice home can I ask why you’re selling it?” question first to see if there is a job loss, transfer, divorce, whatever causing an IMMEDIATE desire to sell. If not you shouldn’t be wasting time with them and certainly don’t go to see the place (if you want to go see the home just for experience and to practice talking to seller’s that’s ok but don’t think you’ll talk them into anything).
If you are just driving through the park and stop to chat with someone that has a “For Sale” sign in the yard and they won’t give you a price, just give them a card or your name on a yellow sticky and tell them to call you if the get in a bind.
If they won’t name a price don’t bother with them.
All the best, Lyal