Marketing question - Posted by Stephanie

Posted by Caseygump on September 08, 2005 at 07:53:03:

Marketing question - Posted by Stephanie

Posted by Stephanie on September 07, 2005 at 22:08:10:

Is it concidered “unprofessional” to send my marketing material to property sellers that are represented by real estate agents?

What I would like is to have the seller contact me when their contract is expired with the realtor and then present a creative offer to the seller.

Thanks for the input!

Tortuous interference - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on September 09, 2005 at 16:33:12:

A broker accused me of T.I.w/contract years ago.

I never told the seller anything wrong so I ignored him.

You might want to ask Bronchick your question over at the law forum.

Re: Marketing question - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on September 08, 2005 at 13:02:50:

Stephanie,

If you are marketing to an area and some of those houses happen to be listed with agents, I don’t see a problem.

On the other side, if you are specifically marketing to sellers who have their houses listed with agents, I think it’s a bad idea. You are trying to ride off someone else’s established contacts. Word will get out and agents will not want to work with you.

Why not just present your offer through the agent?

–Natalie

Re: Marketing question - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on September 08, 2005 at 09:36:18:

It may be in the best interest of the seller. Do you have something to offer that the agent does not offer? Most agents will tell the seller that your approach is crude if they become aware of it. Now that said the seller wants the property sold, or it would not be offered for sale. The agent wants a commission. The matter of the commission is between the seller and their agent. You are not involved in this.

Be sure that you do not offer any “legal” advice. Be sure that you yourself do not act as an agent.

I have often used blanket type mailings that are somewhat generic to the sellers of listed property and others. Advertising is how we find business.

If you, yourself are an agent, then there is the issue of protecting your license. I doubt that this is the case here.