Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Bob G

Posted by Chris Galvin on August 08, 2004 at 22:40:14:

Jae:

I don’t pretend to know the first thing about mentoring in real estate investing. I do, however, know a thing or two about Marc Garrison.

If what I write is critical, then the truth is what makes it so.

As for who you can go to for mentoring, I suggest you choose someone other than Marc Garrison.

How have I failed to help Marc Garrison? What is that supposed mean?

As for communication with you, I am not sure what you hope to accomplish. Actually, I have nothing to discuss with you.

Chris

Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Bob G

Posted by Bob G on April 19, 2004 at 12:31:25:

Any comments on, or experience with Marc Stephan Garrison and Paula Tripp-Garrison? their books? tapes? courses? buying tours? Latest book is “Unlimited Real Estate Profits” Seems like some good points in it. Is NAREI (National Association of Real Estate Investors) a legitimate REI organization, or just his own organization of former students, and not one to be confused with other organizations? Has their stuff helped anyone out there?

Thanks everyone?

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by reistheway

Posted by reistheway on May 21, 2004 at 22:47:18:

He and his wife are crooks. Their buying tour and tapes suck!!! Anyone that on this site that says he is good probably work for him. Right Stephen

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Jasen Daniels

Posted by Jasen Daniels on May 14, 2004 at 17:45:51:

NAREI has given me hope. I went with them on a buyingtour and bought 6 properties, all with a positive cash flow and instant equity. I would recommend NAREI and Marc & Paula Garrison to anyone serious about making money.

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by MD Fischer

Posted by MD Fischer on April 21, 2004 at 11:54:38:

Nine years ago I paid $5000 to attend a Garrison buying tour. Very over-priced and certainly not worth it. Garrison is offering nothing that you couldn’t figure out on your own…with a bit of effort on your part. In Garrison’s own famous words…“buyer beware”. He’s a wonderful salesman, and it’s easy to get caught up in the fantasy of it all. I would strongly suggest that you visit www.johntreed.com and read the section that reviews all of the “hotshot tv gurus”. It’s honest and accurate. Take it from someone whose been there and learned the hard way. Good luck

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Jason Drew

Posted by Jason Drew on June 10, 2004 at 16:47:00:

Hi Jasen,

I’m very close to going on a Buying Tour myself, however lately I’ve seen many negative postings on the internet about it. How did you get involved with NAREI? What was your experience on the tour? How much money did you have for down payments. How confident are you that you’ll sell at the right time and for the kinds of profits promised?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Thomas Phillip

Posted by Thomas Phillip on July 16, 2004 at 17:05:20:

This is just a note to those researching Marc Garrison and the NAREI, and that may have stumbled across some negative comments. 10 years ago, I too, went on a Garrison buying tour. I was new to real estate investing, and scared to death that I would loose all my money. Looking back, I consider it money well spent, even though I must agree that he didn’t show me anything I couldn’t have figured out on my own - If only I had the education and the knowledge, and the time to research 300 markets, visit new cities and locate and interview and select qualified, ethical business contacts, and the funds, and the research Staff, . . . , but like 99% of those new to real estate, I never would have known where to start. Yeah! I know! I could always rely on the yellow pagesfor good business contacts, or Aunt Tillie’s third husband George’s bookie for good sound, business advice. Unlike many of the other Guru’s, Marc never promised I would be a millionaire simply by buying the books and tapes. I had to read the books and watch the tapes! I had to learn the language and techniques of real estate investing, and when and where to apply those techniques. I had to understand profits in Real estate may take a a little time. Finding the right property, in the right market, at the right time, and buying it right, then recognizing when to exit that market, is what it’s all about. I had to determine what I was looking for (and could afford), so that I could recognize it when I saw it! I went on the buying tour expecting to work my butt off, looking for the best investments (diamonds in the rough) that I could find. Unlike some people I have met on tour, I did NOT expect to have good properties forced on me, or to find refined and polished diamonds just lying around under the noses of the locals (who are not as dumb and uninformed as you may think). No, I did not find a suitable property during that first buying tour. BUT I DID NOT GIVE UP! The very next month, I went back to that same city on my own, worked with the same ethical brokers that Marc had introduced, and found my first good, positive cash flow property. I have gone on several buying tours since then, building a portfolio of real estate in six different cities and in four different states. My real estate education (and, incidentally, my net worth) has progressed by leaps and bounds because of my associations with Marc Garrison and the network of incredible people that I have met on buying tours. If you have an open mind, are teachable, willing to learn, and willing to work hard at your own success, the money you spend on a buying tour could be a very good investment in your own education.

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Les

Posted by Les on June 15, 2004 at 15:44:38:

This year I paid $8000 to attend a Garrison buying tour – and it’s still not worth it! I wish I had seen forums like this before I went, because I learned the hard way.

You pay Garrison for the research, the investment team, his expertise and the opportunity to buy real estate that will cash flow.

He provided hardly any research (which left us wondering how it was determined that the tour was in a city that was about to experience the type of explosive appreciation he claims), a random assortment of real estate “professionals” – most of them not very good, none of his own expertise and hardly any of his time, and most of the properties shown to us were right off the MLS and wouldn’t cash flow.

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Stephen Wayner

Posted by Stephen Wayner on May 14, 2004 at 18:18:09:

I have known Marc Garrison since 1984. Marc is a genius at real estate economics. I have attended several of his buyingtours. I was blown away by how good they were. I have met several of Marc’s students who are now self made millioniares. Marc and Paula are the real thing.

Posted by Stephen Wayner on May 14, 2004 at 18:02:06:

I have known Marc Garrison since 1984. He is a genius in real estate economics. I have been on several of his buyingtours and have met several of his students that have become self made millionaires. Marc & Paula are the real things.

Posted by Stephen Wayner on May 14, 2004 at 17:53:23:

I have known Marc Garrison since 1984. I have attended two of his BuyingTours. His methods of real estate investing is nothing short of genius. Hundreds of his students are self made millionaires. I have met them. Marc & Paula are the real thing

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by darren

Posted by darren on May 09, 2004 at 13:47:39:

Yes he sold us his tape series along with access to his “InnerCircle” for over $500. The tapes were extremely poor quality and I have never received acces to his so-called InnerCircle. In fact, I couldn’t get them to return my calls.

I did do my own research and found my own market where I am experiencing successful real estate transactions, so I do give him credit for a good idea. I don’t recommend his organization, however. They are either very poorly run or a scam.

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Jonas Webster

Posted by Jonas Webster on June 22, 2009 at 19:12:16:

Les, you are crazy!!! I was lucky enough to get on a 2009 BuyingTour to Chattanooga, TN. Marc was injured in a 2007 motorcycle wreck and spent over a year in the hospital. Marc is rather like a pitt bull when it comes to being agressive about every aspect of his life. Marc just doesn’t ever want to give up!

Marc opened up my buying tour with some of the most incredible information that he could present on Chattanooga and the surrounding areas. Marc’s demographic study included not only the greater MSA but it also broke down the zip code ranges step by step, zip by zip.

With that data I was able to understand exactly how to determine which micro markets were the very best for me to invest in.

And invest I did. I purchased 5 different single family homes and have enough left for a smaller multi-family.

The buying tour 2009 was right on the money. The tour gave you a comfort level and a complete team to help you in your real estate aquisitions.

Anybody who doesn’t like Garrison, his research, his novel real estate ideas, his buying tours, or his staff needs to have their heads examined.

Marc Garrison is the real thing! He has integrity! He takes people like me by the hand! He helps you successfully invest in real estate today.

Sincerely,

Jonas

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Les

Posted by Les on July 23, 2004 at 16:12:56:

On our tour, Garrison did NOT introduce us to many quality real estate professionals. Some were OK, most were not. Many of the people on the tour returned to the city and STILL had trouble landing good deals. A few even moved to the city to try to make it work.

Maybe Garrison’s tours were worth something ten years ago. Now (in my experience) they are a total waste of time and money.

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Geoff

Posted by Geoff on April 14, 2008 at 16:22:49:

You seem to be the only one to support Marc on the web! I am considering a buying tour. How would you sustantiate they are the real thing?

Posted by Stephen Wayner on May 14, 2004 at 18:11:29:

I have known Marc Garrison since 1984. He is a genius in real estate economics. I have been on several of his buyingtours. I have met several of his students who are self made millionaires. Marc & Paula are the real thing.

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Ted Stevens

Posted by Ted Stevens on August 26, 2010 at 08:59:32:

You should probably ask Marc about the time he was living in a Motel 6 and then had to move in with a roommate in Mesa, AZ. I was friends with his roommate and heard that he was late paying rent and lost his initial rent money when he moved in. And why did Marc change the spelling of his middle name from Stephen to Stephan? Was it to hide his bankruptcy?

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by C Meyer

Posted by C Meyer on July 17, 2009 at 10:04:19:

Who is this Marc Garrison? How old is he? Did he go to Lakewood High School in Lakewood California? Is he a member of the Mormon church? Is he an author of not only real estate books, but also some Mormon teachings books? Please advise if you know.

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Mike Caldwell

Posted by Mike Caldwell on April 27, 2008 at 18:41:07:

I have been chasing real estate “Gurus” for the past ten years. When I read the Garrison’s book “Unlimited Real Estate Profit” I was blown away. It made so much sense. I then took it to the next level. I became a member of their Inner Circle and studied their DVD course. I then graduated to participating in one of their BuyingTours. I went to the market. I studied the market. I was blown away by the good deals. I bought properties that made sense and gave me a fantastic cash flow. I never dreamed that anybody would care as much as the Garrison’s and their staff / mentors. I am so glad that I did the right thing.

Re: Marc Stephan Garrison and NAREI - Posted by Chris Galvin

Posted by Chris Galvin on June 24, 2004 at 12:28:37:

A genius in real estate economics? Please then explain why Marc Garrison doesn’t even own property in his home state of Arizona! You can check here: http://www.maricopa.gov/parcelApplication/

I know for a fact that in 2001 Marc was renting a room in my friend’s townhouse. Prior to Marc moving in to my friends home, he was living in Motel 6!

Real estate genius? I think not!

Chris