Locksmith Hubris - Posted by Potash

Posted by Bill H on March 31, 2007 at 12:29:48:

nt

Locksmith Hubris - Posted by Potash

Posted by Potash on March 30, 2007 at 12:39:59:

If possible I just drill out the old door lock in order to gain access to a property I have aquired through foreclosure if it is obvious that the property is vacant. But it is often the case, especially for townhouses or condos, that I can’t tell if the property is occupied so, as a precaution against being accused of stealing or having to explain myself to the police, I hire a locksmith to open the property. As a result I have hired about 20-30 locksmiths in my life to open front doors. I must be the most unlucky person in the world because two out of three times the locksmith can’t open the door, and the Locksmith proceeds to tell me there is something wrong with the lock, because that is only door lock they haven’t been able to pick in their entire life (slight exaggeration, but not much).

And I love how they want to see proof of ownership, so I show them the foreclosure Deed. As if they are qualified to judge whether it is an actual Deed or just something I printed out on my computer that mourning.

Crowbar - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on April 03, 2007 at 08:52:14:

Works great for opening the door, and great for scaring off vagrants if you happen upon them in your property… and a 38 snub nose as a backup isn’t bad either.

Re: Locksmith Hubris - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on March 31, 2007 at 21:42:11:

I deal primarily with preforeclosures and abandoned properties. I always seem to get the deals where the owner doesn’t live in the property and the place is vacant yet headed to sheriff sale (or some other type of foreclosure). As a result, the lender typically has the place winterized and the locks changed before actually taking possession of the property (allowable by law here in NJ).

I remember one case where I was buying a condo headed to foreclosure and sure enough the lender changed the lock. I called a locksmith who proceeded to drill a hole right through the cylinder of the locks on the front door and wala…the door opens…all for $80. That was the last time I hired a locksmith. Instead I purchased my own drill and have been removing locks (with the permission of the owner) on my own ever since.

Ib

Re: Locksmith Hubris - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on March 31, 2007 at 13:14:30:

My husband feels your pain. It kind of defeats the purpose of paying someone if you could have just drilled it yourself (for free). They’ve never asked me for any proof of ownership.

I had one last year that we thought was vacant. I even confirmed with the power company that no juice was being used. I left notes on the door for several days that just stayed there. Sure enough, the locksmith is trying to pick the lock and the former owner comes strolling up the walk. She had already moved out, but just wanted to be difficult about things. She confirmed she took all the stuff she wanted, but wouldn’t turn over her key. I decided I ought to follow through with the eviction in the courts since I didn’t trust her. As soon as she was served, she was begging me to cancel it. I told her I couldn’t cancel it unless she gave me the key. We went back and forth until she gave in.

–Natalie

Re: Locksmith Hubris - Posted by Rich_in_CT

Posted by Rich_in_CT on March 30, 2007 at 14:52:16:

Wow, I would never pay to break into my own place. I would definitely have tried everything known to man before I paid someone.

Re: Locksmith Hubris - Posted by Potash

Posted by Potash on March 30, 2007 at 22:11:42:

I had forgotten that $50 is a lot of money to some people.

Re: Locksmith Hubris - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on April 02, 2007 at 10:38:19:

It’s a lot of money to me. If you feel like gettin’ rid of a 50 here and there, let me know!

-Berno

Re: Locksmith Hubris - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on March 31, 2007 at 13:35:49:

I hope I never reach the point where I think $50 is not a lot of
$$$. Just this morning, because I didn’t have a smaller bill, I sent
my college student DGS a $20 instead of my usual weekly $5 or
$10. I figured he’d be ecstatic over his good fortune. Maybe he’ll
even take a girl out for a hamburger & fries, & get a smooch or
two in return. Who knows what a resourceful kid could do w/such
a windfall–

Tye

In Boca Raton, locksmiths play a vital role in enhancing security for both residential and commercial properties. Here’s why they are essential:

1. Lock Installation and Maintenance: Locksmiths are experts in installing and maintaining locks, ensuring doors and windows are properly secured.

2. Emergency Services: They offer 24/7 emergency assistance, helping residents in critical situations like lockouts or break-ins.

3. Key Management: Locksmiths assist with key duplication, cutting, and rekeying, ensuring controlled access.

4. Security Upgrades: They provide advanced security solutions, including electronic access control systems and high-security locks, tailored to individual needs. Discover valuable security insights and tips in our Locksmith Blog, a go-to resource for Boca Raton residents concerned about safeguarding their homes and businesses.

5. Community Safety: Locksmiths contribute to Boca Raton’s safety by preventing unauthorized access and reinforcing security measures. Their expertise is a cornerstone of peace of mind in this thriving community.