LL tricks of the trade - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 06, 2011 at 10:15:40:

also, I saw a commercial the other day, and a couple of landlords I know have used with great satisfaction, a Rustoleum product for refinishing countertops. I am (almost) anxiously awaiting an opportunity to try this - nuevo look for cheap dinero.

LL tricks of the trade - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 06, 2011 at 10:09:00:

a lot has been discussed about LL-friendly repairs, but also there are some repair techniques that could be shared. This also applies to making a Lonnie Deal sale-ready. There is currently a thread on mrlandlord (posted Sept 5, titled “LL tricks of the trade”) that is growing; I thought that we could do the same, MH-specific.

Here’s some of mine:

• use a shop vac when doing toilet repair or replacement to suck all the water

• Sheet rock the walls and instead of mud&tape, cover joints with battens - flat trim pieces. Prime and paint the whole thing - texture optional, not necessary - I don’t. You can do this right over the paneling (pull off and reuse the battens); looks better, lightens the room, and insulates like you wouldn’t believe)

• Glue down VCT tiles when the kitchen or bath needs new floor covering - nearly bulletproof

• Use a leaf blower to clean gutters

• make a binder for evictions that has copies of all the forms you will need, so you can burn 'em, fill 'em out, and serve 'em/take 'em to court.

• You can make your own baseboard trim with 1x2s and a table saw: rip them with a slight angle, and now you have 16’ of trim for under $2. Sand the cut surface, prime, and paint before install.

• Buy a small (like 1 gallon) air compressor with a trim nailer - Lowes and HD often run these on special for $59 or $69. This is awesome for installing or tacking trim that has come loose, paneling or tile board, sheetrock, tightening loose carpet, or piercing ears/lips/brows/tongues/unmentionables.

• install a tile or VCT entry pad, 3 or 4 ft square - looks good, and keeps the water/mud off of laminate or carpet at the door.

*Buy a multi-tool for sanding, cutting installed trim (like when you are installing tile or laminate floors, and you need to cut some off of the bottom of door frame molding)

Re: LL tricks of the trade - Posted by MikeT/NC

Posted by MikeT/NC on September 06, 2011 at 17:03:11:

You can use a shop vac to clean around the “A” coil
drain pan. Also if the drain line coming from the A coil
gets stopped up you can suck it out with the shop vac.

Re: LL tricks of the trade - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on September 06, 2011 at 16:21:55:

Steve, vinyl covered luan is available through MH parts distributors. lighter weight, no need to paint and doesnt have the mud grooves like house type sheetrock.

Re: LL tricks of the trade - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on September 06, 2011 at 13:46:16:

Oil based kilz on urine soaked floors & cig stained ceilings.

TSP cleaner for cig stained walls.

Tub paint for tub/showers.

Bondo for holes in doors/ dents in appliances.

Appliance paint - I’m going to try this stuff on peeling cabinets.