Live Answering Services - Posted by Steve-Atl

Posted by Chicago Steve on May 03, 2000 at 22:13:03:

Jim,

Do I understand that you have more than one phone number on one (1) phone line? You advertise a number other than you home phone # and it has a distinctive ring? 2 numbers, one line?

Live Answering Services - Posted by Steve-Atl

Posted by Steve-Atl on May 03, 2000 at 13:25:09:

Can anyone recommend a live answering service to handle incoming calls from sellers?

I know its best to answer personally, but that’s not possible for me at this time. However, I sense a live voice is better than a recording. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks

Ditto Jim IL - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on May 03, 2000 at 22:40:31:

I’ve been down the same route as Jim. I got many more messages and it was nice having the majority of the scripted questions already answered, but it was not worth the money. Sometimes the operators were good, sometimes they were okay, and most times they were clowns. I agree with Jim that the multiple mailbox system is much better for those of us who aren’t able to answer calls during the day.

Re: Live Answering Services - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on May 03, 2000 at 15:58:46:

Steve,
When I first started, I tried a “live answering service”, and honestly, it was a waste of money.
My multi tiered answering system at home works better for me. (you know, press 1 for whatever, press 2 for…etc.)
I have a simple outgoing message that says what number they called and then gives them a menu to choose from.
I also have a “Distinctive ring” feature that will allow me to have a second phone number (not phone line), and direct those calls to a special mailbox.
This way, I can have all my ads for homes for sale list that extra number, and it places the callers in the appropriate mailbox.
Also, when I am home, I can hear the different ring and know that it is a business call, and decide from there to pick up or not. (plus caller I.D. helps here as well.)
The total cost of my system was approx. $150
I think it is called a “Meridian” phone.
The phone is sold at most Office Depot or Office Max stores, and depending on who your local phone company is, it has a label on it for that company.
(ie: here it is from Ameritech, and in the south it is Southwestern bell.)
This phone also has the ability to upgrade, should your business grow. I can have several different phone lines attached to it, and also can ad other phones like it of my office grows to more employees, other than just little ol me.

Check them out, you will not be sorry.
There are just too many good features to list for this phone here.

My problems with the live service was that they could not do what I asked, and even messed up on several occassions taking a simple name and number message.
With the system I use, the caller leaves there info, and I personally can call them at my liesure.
This way, all the info I want to gather is done by me, and of anything is missed, I am the only one to blame.

HTH,
Jim IL