Live and learn - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on October 10, 2002 at 12:42:48:

Yes, I know you weren’t yelling, I’m just a deadpan kind of guy. You didn’t think that was funny?

Karl

Live and learn - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on October 09, 2002 at 09:57:33:

I have an older 2br home I just took back after an eviction that I still have about $2500 into. Last Saturday I met a mother and son who wanted a home and had cash. The mother was buying it for her son. They looked at this home and both like it. We agreed on $5500 cash for the home. The son asked if we could meet again so his girlfriend could see it. The mother objected cause she was paying for it, and obviously doesn?t think much of the girlfriend?s decision-making abilities. The mother just wanted to get it done, the son sulked away and said okay mom, its your trailer, do whatever you want, but didn?t mean it. I?m a nice guy, so I said no problem, bring the girlfriend to look at it, we scheduled to get back together tonight.

I just got a voice mail message from the mother. Now the son wants to look at some apartments. And mom is pizzed, she thought it was a done deal. She?s going to call back in a couple days and let me know what they decide.

I?ve got to get better at closing these deals. If I would have pushed it, I could have probably got that mother to write a check for the full amount last Saturday, she was ready. Most certainly I could have gotten a deposit. Dag.

I have a college buddy who is a born salesman. I?ve shown him this business, he?s been with me a couple times when I ?ve talked to buyers and sellers. He laughs at my poor sales skills, and tries to give me tips. Features and Benefits, Always Be Closing, etc. GlennGary GlennRoss is his favorite movie. He was the #1 salesman at the Mattress Factory, right up until he got laid off.

No point, just felt like typing.

Karl Kleiner

Re: Live and learn - Posted by John Abbott

Posted by John Abbott on October 09, 2002 at 12:50:40:

YES-ALWAYS get the check! It’s NOT a done deal UNTIL YOU get some money!

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Good luck!

Re: Live and learn - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on October 09, 2002 at 14:02:25:

Don’t yell at me.

Karl Kleiner

Re: Live and learn - Posted by John Abbott

Posted by John Abbott on October 10, 2002 at 10:35:09:

I was NOT yelling. I capitalized for EMPHASIS! BOY,
some people ARE touchy on this site!

John

I’m not much of a salesman myself but… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA on October 09, 2002 at 19:09:59:

… I’ve heard real salesmen say “when the customer says yes, stop trying to sell and write up the order immediately”. I have done exactly the same thing as you did in this case, several times, and I just talked my potential customer out of the deal after they had said yes.

I don’t care what your business or occupation is, you are a professional salesman, a professional buyer, and that means a professional negotiator too. We ALL need to constantly add to our buying/selling/negotiating skills as long as we live, no matter how we earn our daily bread.

My 26 month old daughter is getting to be a great negotiator. She will agree to stop crying IF only I will buy her…(you finish this setence).

Regards, doc

I’m not much of a salesman myself but… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA on October 09, 2002 at 19:06:57:

… I’ve heard real salesmen say “when the customer says yes, stop trying to sell and write up the order immediately”. I have done exactly the same thing as you did in this case, several times, and I just talked my potential customer out of the deal after they said yes.

I don’t care what your business or occupation is, you are a professional salesman, a professional buyer, and that means a professional negotiator too. We ALL need to constantly add to our buying/selling/negotiating skills as long as we live.

My 26 month old daughter is getting to be a great negotiator. She will agree to stop crying IF only I will buy her…(you finish this setence).

Regards, doc