Listing Properties (FSBO) on MLS - Posted by Wally

Posted by Wally on August 14, 2004 at 14:01:57:

thanks, that is a good suggestion.

am i correct in the assumption that listing them on MLS will put them on sites such as realtor.com? Or is that something else different?

Listing Properties (FSBO) on MLS - Posted by Wally

Posted by Wally on August 14, 2004 at 11:03:20:

I am about to sell 2 rehabs FSBO and have 2 more underway. I would like them listed in MLS and am curious about becoming an agent so i could list them myself. Any ideas of where i should begin? I’ve called a few agencies in my area but they seemed not too interested in helping me when they find out my plan is my own FSBO’s and not to work for them, not that i can blame them.

Any info would be appreciated, i’m in MD.

Re: Listing Properties (FSBO) on MLS - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on August 16, 2004 at 13:49:14:

I used to pay a guy $500 to list my rehabbed houses on MLS. That worked out okay. Agents called me directly. I also got a few emails from prospective buyers that saw the house on the public website (realtor.com?). Those were dead leads.

Then I started paying a broker friend $250 to list on MLS.

Then I got my RE sales license and listed myself. I pay a bunch of fees every month, plus $100 each time I sell one of my own. I no longer list my houses on MLS, I pay someone else to market and sell them. I still keep my MLS subscription for comps, and the occassional friend that is looking for a place.

Re: Listing Properties (FSBO) on MLS - Posted by Art Warshaw

Posted by Art Warshaw on August 14, 2004 at 15:45:04:

Wally
Contact me about this
Art

Re: Listing Properties (FSBO) on MLS - Posted by BC

Posted by BC on August 14, 2004 at 13:32:52:

If you want to be an agent just to list your own properties you will probably need to sign up with a real estate broker where you pay a monthly fee. Those in my area run anywhere from $275 to $1,300 per month. You pay the monthly fee and get to keep 100% of what you earn. You can list your properties in the MLS and just pay the 2 or 3% for the agent that brings a buyer. There are fees to join the MLS and the local association of realtors. If you are only selling 1 or 2 homes a year it probably is not worth it. If you are doing 10 or 20 if definitely would be.

BC

Re: Listing Properties (FSBO) on MLS - Posted by Bob K

Posted by gforcecable.com"]Bob K on August 14, 2004 at 11:23:29:

Your best bet is to befreind a broker - ask him if he would add your listings to the MLS for a couple of hundred dollars. Also, you should consider adding “3% commision paid to buyers agent” to the listing. Otherwise, no agents will show the property if there is no commision in it for them.

If this works, and you get exposure via MLS, some agent finds it and brings a buyer to the table and you close, you are in for the 3% + the flat up front fee you paid the broker to list it, instead of the traditional 6%, possible saving a couple thousand $$$'s…