Lease law - Posted by RoseH

Posted by Brian (UT) on October 26, 2005 at 16:17:58:

Rose

You said California, so yes the 24 hour clause is legal, however California law limits it to normal business hours and days. If they want to show it at night and on sunday they are out of luck unless you cooperate.

Brian

Lease law - Posted by RoseH

Posted by RoseH on October 25, 2005 at 12:37:20:

When a lease is up does tenant still need to give 30 day notice before moving out? I’m in California.
Thank you!

Lease is legal doc - read it ! - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on October 26, 2005 at 10:15:35:

All the LL/Owner’s rights are in that lease doc, so if it has no notice period, you can walk out the door…IF your rents and all other obligations are current.

By the way, in WA, maybe CA too, a lease of one year or longer must be notary acknowledged and recordable in order to even exist, legally.

I once bought a property from a very frustrated woman whose tenant was camped on a portion of the property, claiming lease rights giving her a number of years to go on her"lease" at the skimply rent she was paying.

But when I examined that “lease” I found it had not been notarized, thus was legally non-existent in WA, so I had her out of there within a short time…oh, sure, she huffed and puffed, and said her lawyer would be contacting me and letting me know all about her rights, but clearly he, too, saw it was a defective lease and she had no real rights in the document. So as soon as he’d seen it and advised her, she was gone.

I didn’t see the lease document until after closing, or I would have told the owner about her non-existent lease so she could have profited from the situation.

While I like to think I’m a tough bargainer, I don’t like to take advantage of another’s ignorance to his/her detriment.

Read Your Lease Agreement - Posted by River City

Posted by River City on October 26, 2005 at 07:17:16:

Your lease agreement should indicate whether or not you must give notice. Even if the agreement does not specify that notice is required, it would be a matter of courtesy to give some notice so the property owner can begin marketing the property to find another tenant (after cleanup).

Lease agreement does not specify - Posted by RoseH

Posted by RoseH on October 26, 2005 at 11:02:55:

The agreement does not specify when to give notice. When notice is given to the landlord does the lanlord have the right to show the property to other perspetive tenants before lease is due? The lease sais he can with a 24 hour notice, biut is that legal?

Re: Lease agreement does not specify - Posted by RoseH

Posted by RoseH on October 28, 2005 at 11:23:09:

thank you that’s very helpful!