Leak - Tar and Gravel Roof in the winter - Posted by wpage

Posted by david williams on December 26, 2007 at 19:21:25:

how do i find the leak it seams to be running

Leak - Tar and Gravel Roof in the winter - Posted by wpage

Posted by wpage on December 16, 2007 at 08:42:20:

What would anyone suggest that I do to repair a leak in the roof in the middle of the winter? I have taken the ceiling down in the apartment and I can see where it leaks. It is about 4 feet long in a straight line. The problem is the ice and snow. Any suggestions?

Re: Leak - Tar and Gravel Roof in the winter - Posted by Ed in Idaho

Posted by Ed in Idaho on December 17, 2007 at 24:15:56:

That sucks! As long as the cold holds out, you shouldn’t have too much of a problem, but of course when the warmth comes, you will probably have a pond up there draining into the leak.

To fix it, try to shoot for a few good days of weather in case you need them. Get as much snow and ice out of the way as you can. Get a torch, either hand held or the grass burner type, and melt the ice that is there away and dry the area with it also. Move all of the rocks you can out of the way of the leak. Buy a can of roofing tar and a cheap trowel or use a stick, and start gooping the heck out of the leaking area. My guess is it is probably a small section of a seam. Keep the tar/plastic roof cement as warm as possible until you need it for easy spreading. It’s just like icing a cake. Be sure to use plenty of tar/ plastic roof cement. Rake the rocks back over the top, then replace snow and ice if you’re a glutton for punishment. Done.

You can also check with your local roofers or lumber yards, but nowadays there are other products that fix leaks easier, cleaner and better. There is stuff that is about 3 or 4 inches wide in a roll of 10 to 20 feet or so that is self adhesive and very nice to use. You still have to remove the ice and snow and rocks and dry the area as best you can. And make sure the product you use can be used with petroleum products. Use the torch to help melt whatever you use into the leak but be careful. As my buddy Frank Einstein say’s, FIRE BADDDDD!!!

Spray foam roof - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on December 16, 2007 at 16:39:04:

An interesting “green” alternative for your roof could be a sprayed foam roof. It may cost more upfront (I don’t know) but they lower energy costs and are very reliable. Many schools, government buildings, commercial and industrial buildings use this type of roof. They are seamless and provide superior insulating properties. Check out the new Louisiana Superdome. You can’t miss it.

LeonNC

Re: Leak - Tar and Gravel Roof in the winter - Posted by brandoncbsre

Posted by brandoncbsre on December 16, 2007 at 09:44:19:

Is it feasible to just tarp it until spring so you can fix it properly. I have seen this done several times in NE Indiana.

Re: Leak - Tar and Gravel Roof in the winter - Posted by wpage

Posted by wpage on December 17, 2007 at 06:08:47:

Thanks to everyone that replied. The ideal solution would be what Ed suggests but I don’t know when I will get 2 or 3 nice days between now and next week. We just had about 3 feet of snow yesterday. After next week I will be in sunny Florida for the winter. I guess my tenant is on his own.