Landlock - Posted by Stephen Young

Posted by david on July 18, 2002 at 13:04:02:

Here are some suggestions:

  1. You could contact each of the surrounding property owners and see if any would grant (ie., sell) you an easement.
  2. Contact a local lawyer experienced in real estate law and explore the availability of obtaining an easement by necessity.
    You don’t indicate what you want use you want to make of the property. I suspect the chances of your obtaining an easement increases as the liklihood of your minimal use increases. In other words, if you intend to use the property in a way that brings in a lot of traffic and/or people, your chances of getting an easement probably approach zero.

Landlock - Posted by Stephen Young

Posted by Stephen Young on July 16, 2002 at 24:29:11:

I am looking at 32 acres in California that is landlocked. An easement was granted to the Gas Company in 1976 at one end of the property. The surrounding properties are owned by two individuals, the State of California, Public Utilities for the county and a State University.

It would be worth $500,000 with access and I have been offered it for $70,000 from the trust. Can I get an easement or access?