Land? - Posted by Jake J. in MT

Posted by Chuck on November 30, 2003 at 09:16:47:

The quickest (and best) way is to call a realtor and have them search the MLS… but most people would probably check the Real Estate section of the local newspaper first.

Land? - Posted by Jake J. in MT

Posted by Jake J. in MT on November 30, 2003 at 05:31:44:

I’ve always heard about doing postcard mailings, yet I’ve never attempted one. What should one include or write in the mailing?

-My situation:
I’m looking for some rural farm land close to the city.
Somewhere around 5 to 10 acres, for a land/home package. I don’t want to buy into a “developement.” I just want some land. What’s the best way to go about this? Thanks much.

Forget post card mailings to random … - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler on November 30, 2003 at 11:09:55:

addresses using the cheap bulk mail postage rates. They won’t be very productive or cost efficient.

If you use real estate agents you will not be able to negotiate killer deals. Agents are great killer deal deal killers. They will however probably have lots of listings and be familiar with the kind of properties you are looking for. If you are willing to pay close to retail prices and do no work, then agents are fine.

Drive around and look for the kind of property you like. If you find something nice check with your county recorder for the address to which the property tax bills are being sent. Then contact the owners by mail or preferably by phone if you can find their numbers.

Plan for this to take several full days for the search and phone calls/letters.

Find at least 50-100 parcels that you like and work on all of them simultaneously. Most people will never answer your letters. Pay the most attention to properties with homemade for sale signs and properties with out of state address for the tax bills. Also properties for which the tax bills are being sent to probate estates (not trusts). Out of state owners are a great source of killer deals, especially if they are several years behind on their property taxes or are in or have passed through probabe estates recently.

Regards, doc