L/H Question - Posted by Cole

Posted by Tony Colella on July 02, 2005 at 10:16:42:

Homes are often set higher than 3’ but this will likely vary not only by state but by county. In our area, after a certain % of the piers go over a certain height, then the blocks will need coating (I believe it is call “sure lock” coating or something similar) and/or the piers will need to have rebar inserted inside the blocks. Only the permit/inspectors office can tell you for sure.

We had one home that Scott recently set up in his park. The piers under the front end of the home is far less than 3 feet but a couple of piers on the back end of the home were quite high. Scott is 6ft 4" and he could walk under the back end without ducking. The county approved the piers after he coated them to their specs.

John is correct in that you will have to look at what the inspectors will allow. With flooding and hurricans damaging the properties, I would want to know exactly how they want future homes set up and if I can insure them. The worse the answers to those 2 questions, the lower the value of the land.

Tony

L/H Question - Posted by Cole

Posted by Cole on July 01, 2005 at 19:57:06:

I am seriously considering purchasing a piece of property listed with a realtor here in the central Florida area. The property has a SW that needs to be removed on it; it was flooded during the three hurricanes in our area last year.

The property is almost a quarter acre and listed for $11000. That is cheap for the area. I would need to place the new DW about 5 feet in the air. Is this done pretty easily? Could someone tell me how it works. Also central Florida is a W2. Thanks guys…

Cole Haynes

Re: L/H Question - Posted by Daphne Lowe

Posted by Daphne Lowe on July 03, 2005 at 24:51:47:

In my area, many of the homes (whether stick, brick, modular, or mobile) are built on stilts. These are 10’-12’ tall, 1’x1’ (or larger) reinforced poured concrete columns, with concrete tie beams spaced about 12’ apart. The house is then put on top of this structure. The process is not difficult, but its not cheap. The cost this foundation runs about 30k. What’s required is dictated by the county and a function of the flood zone rating of the lot. The good news for you is that this is extreme, your area isn’t as demanding, so your costs should be much less.

Daphne

Re: L/H Question - Posted by john

Posted by john on July 02, 2005 at 24:13:28:

hi cole, i would recommend you talk to the city inspector, or, your local hud office, for the height requirements for your local city, to the best of my knowledge, one is not allowed to place any mobile home, sw,dw more than 36" in the air, above that is a safety hazard, i used to set up mobile homes for a living throughout texas, now there may be some slight differences where you live, but, there isn’t a state that i know of in the us where you can set either up, any higher, good luck with your venture, john