KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by Stanf (SoCal)

Posted by stanf on September 08, 2002 at 18:17:40:

It strickly a matter of looks. I want to get top dollar from the sale and all the other newer competition has the smooth or knockdown texturing.

KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by Stanf (SoCal)

Posted by Stanf (SoCal) on September 08, 2002 at 15:08:29:

I?m doing rehab on a condo, mid level for the market, and one feature it has I just hate, the cottage cheese on the ceilings. Being built before 1970 the ceiling material is probably asbestos and the subsurface is not wallboard but lathe & plaster. These two elements make it a costly proposition to remove the nasty texturing.

Two different methods have been proposed. The first I?m familiar with and that is to simply put 3/8 inch sheetrock over the entire ceiling and then mud, tape, and texture. I like the look of ?knock down? texturing, which will lower the mud & tape costs a bit because it covers less-than-perfect surfaces. Nonetheless this is a costly approach to the problem.

Someone else mentioned a cheaper alternative and that is to simple apply the knock down material directly over the cottage cheese and then smooth it down. This sounds like a good way to go but I can?t find anyone who has actually done it.

The watchful condo association will not allow a quick scrape off without complete moon suits, air tests, and licensed abatement contractors

How have you handled this problem?

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by D

Posted by D on September 10, 2002 at 11:46:53:

Hi Stan,

I`m assuming that all the other units have the same texture on the ceiling. If not, maybe your unit had the texture applied later. I believe 1976 and before was the time drywall contractors were using “acoustic” texture that had asbestos in it, but I might be wrong.

In any case if its there and you dont want it I would suggest calling a drywall contractor to find out about removal. Providing it doesnt have several layers of paint on it its very easy to remove. If you have a garden sprayer, the 2 gallon kind that you pump up and it has a little spray nozzle you can use that to saturate it with water and it scrapes off as pretty as you please, if it has paint on it it will harder to scrape. Asbestos is a problem/concern if the material is dry and creates dust. If soaked it turns into oatmeal and is easily handled even it does have asbestos in it. Your local contractor I`m sure has dealt with this before and the material handled by a contractor should not be any problem for anyone or any association.

You can retexture the acoustic if you “float it” with drywall compound first. In other words apply a layer,maybe two, of mud to make it smooth then re-shoot it and you mentioned you like a knock down. Simply spraying the texture material on the acoustic then “knocking it down” would be tricky, you would have to have the material sprayed on very thick because when you try to knock it down with your knockdown knife and if the little “bumps” on the ceiling are still exposed you will have whats called “chatter marks” from the knife hitting them that mar everything. You might have to spray on a thick coat, wait for that to dry then spray another coat on, then knockdown. The problem now is you have a very thick, heavy knockdown that isnt what you had in mind in the first place. Maybe for you it would look better than the acoustic. An even bigger concern would be the weight and moisture of the texture material being sprayed on would cause the acoustic to start falling off the ceiling here and there. Re-floating and re-texturing in my opinion would be cheaper and easier than encapsulating in with sheetrock then tape and texture. The very easiest and cheapest thing to do in my opinion is have it removed then re-textured. Are you sure about the guidelines for acoustic spray? The moonsuits are used for crank labs I know but to the best of my knowledge not "cottage cheese". Id look into a little further. Again, call a licenced drywall contractor. Just some points to ponder, just my 2 cents . Good luck. D

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on September 09, 2002 at 17:11:33:

If it was me I wouldn’t mess around with scraping and replastering. I would strap it and put up new drywall, tape and paint, NO TEXTURE. I hate texture too.

On the other hand, how much extra will you get on the sale price or the rent? I wouldn’t do for fun. I would expect it to pay me or I wouldn’t do it. Of course if the ceiling is falling down in chunks you don’t have much choice.

If the ceiling is in good shape but an ugly texture I would buy a 5 gal pail of good quality “ceiling white” paint and spray it on or use a fluffy roller, whichever is easier.

Ceiling white is cheap and makes practically any ceiling look good. Remember you don’t have to live there. To all tenants and practically all buyers, it will be fine, if they say they hate it tell them you can put up new drywall and give them a brand new “smooth” ceiling for only “XX” dollars extra.

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on September 09, 2002 at 12:41:13:

i think that maybe someone (either you or the conso assoc.) has mixed up the asbestos and lead-based-paint issues. i have never done an old condo, but numerous old victorian homes. they all have plaster walls and ceilings. and plaster, especially ceilings, has a tendency to crack, when settling. if someone had a roofleak in the past, that would have also contributed to cracks and since it’a condo and maybe someone lives above, that may have hurt further.
ayway, a lot of people then stippled the ceilings or put pocorn up to hide the cracks.
i wouldn’t have any reason to suspect this to be asbestos, unless someone absolutely knows and told you.

just my thoughts
michaela

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on September 09, 2002 at 10:54:39:

It sounds like regardless of whether or not this material is actually asbestos, the condo association will freak out at your messing with it. Better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Honestly, I would just sheetrock over the ceiling, tape, and paint. I don’t see why you need to install new texture. What’s wrong with a flat ceiling? Especially if it is nicely painted. I don’t think I would call this “costly”. How large is this condo? I would expect to get that done for around $300-$400 per room.

Good luck,
NT

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by Tom (GA)

Posted by Tom (GA) on September 09, 2002 at 10:19:54:

Why not take a small sample and have it tested?

Tom

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on September 09, 2002 at 06:45:38:

In our area we call it blown on ceiling. I’ts not asbestos in our area and you can scrap it off and remud or an easier way is to get a large fluffy paint roller and roll on paint in a nice muted color to update. The large roller will get in around the cottage cheese without pulling it off.
MUCH< MUCH, cheaper.
Great Success,
Dee-Texas

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on September 08, 2002 at 22:21:59:

I’d bet that the cottage cheese is vermiculite rather than asbestos.

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by Jerry

Posted by Jerry on September 08, 2002 at 20:28:47:

Spray it with textured plaster.

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by Bill - FL

Posted by Bill - FL on September 08, 2002 at 18:21:47:

Stan,
Sounds like a personal problem to me. Just kidding. But really, it sounds like you are making something out of a non issue. Has the material been identified absolutely as asbestos? If so, isn’t it a requirement that it be removed? If it isn’t asbestos, better to leave it alone and paint over if necessary. Why add to your rehab costs? You are not going to live there or are you?

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by TKP, Houston

Posted by TKP, Houston on September 08, 2002 at 17:27:28:

Stanf(socal),

Why don’t you leave the asbestos, or whatever it is, in place. Asbestos only becomes harmful when broken up and the fibers get into the air. Left in place and undisturbed asbestos is harmless. TKP, Houston

Re: KnockDown fight over CottageCheese - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on September 09, 2002 at 24:04:50:

For all we know, we don’t know who lived there before, it might really be cottage cheese.