Just Find a Way (Long Post) - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by royd on February 09, 2006 at 13:09:51:

Thanks Tony good post-- good reality check

Just Find a Way (Long Post) - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on February 09, 2006 at 09:30:17:

Ok, so we have a little snow here today which gave me time to reflect on the business we call mobile home investing. Here are a couple of observations I have made along the way.

Nothing too easy is worth doing. Much of the success we have will come from making mistakes. We limit them and the damage they cause by learning some basic knowledge first through books, courses, networking and asking questions. We then apply what we learn and BAM, experience and opportunity hit us right in the nose. As we sit on the dirt, licking that wound, we wonder ?is this worth it??

To be successful we have to do the un-fun thing and overcome the obstacle or problem. Within every challenge we find opportunity. Overcoming that challenge simply isn’t pleasant most of the time. We often have to leave our comfort zone and let?s face it, it?s simply UNcomfortable!

We could quit now and concede that ?it does not work where I live? or we can decide that we will find a way to make this work. Let me say that last part again. WE WILL FIND A WAY TO MAKE THIS WORK.

It cannot be stressed enough that you will find a way to make it work but only if you are willing to continue to do the un-fun and take on the uncomfortable to overcome the problem. The problem may seem simple to others. It may seem insurmountable to others still. But it is our opportunity. It is our challenge. We will find a way to make it work.

We are in this for the long haul. Maybe we begin by just creating a little extra income and then we find we don?t have enough time to do all the deals or handle all of the problems. Maybe we invest and work to create an income stream so we can leave our job. Sure we have more time to handle problems but leaving the job does not mean that problems go away. They are simply replaced by newer and greater challenges with greater opportunity and reward.

I try to be careful not to use statements such as ?I will be happy when??

You hear them all the time. ?I will be happy when I can quit my job. I will be happy when that deals goes through. I will be happy when I have this much money in the bank or income per month etc. I will be happy when that person moves. I will be happy when???

It is important to be happy regardless of those things. Most are not immediately within our control anyway. As written above, once we overcome one obstacle, we face another so if we delay happiness until then we will never get to be happy.

You know the old idea of ?life?s a journey.? Enjoy the journey.

Know this too. Going full time into investing can be incredible rewarding in too many ways to count. But this does not mean you won?t be free from frustration or worry. Keep repeating, ?I will find a way.?

I kid other investors that being a full time investor is lot like being manic depressive. One day you are on top of the world, the next you sink to a new low. (Don?t get me wrong, this does not mean we are nuts or suicidal). I (and others) have noticed that you need to remain centered emotionally because you are going to have a day when things go so well that you feel like you are walking on air. The next day you feel like you are falling through air all day watching everything go wrong.

The important point is that the converse is true. Keep reminding yourself that you will find a way on those bad days and get excited knowing that this low day means that a great day is soon to come. You can?t just sit back and wait. You must find a way but it is there. It seems that nature abhors a status quo. The low?s seem necessary to catapult us to greater heights.

For example. One month you feel like no tenant or buyer wants to pay. You drive home cursing them and the business. The next day you wake up and head out. Some rent comes in and the day begins to get a little better. You decide to talk to someone you might otherwise have passed by that day. Maybe it?s the park manager, your realtor, a neighbor, the guy at the store etc. and suddenly you find a steal of a deal. Yippeeeee!

Maybe three bankers turn down your loan (those losers!) but the next day you find one that will do the deal (hurray!). Maybe you get 10 offers turned down. Maybe 50 (dag nabit!) then the next offer brings in a home run (hurray!)

My point is that you have to hang in there and remind yourself that the good will come if you keep working to find a way. Conversely (there?s that word again) it is important to remember not to get too excited because the higher we go, the lower we dip into the low side. I think this is why we see the long standing, seasoned vets as so calm, cool and collected. They don?t seem to get worked up too much in either good or bad days. They just keep finding a way. To some it may appear that all they touch turns to gold. I do not believe these folks have been immune to frustration or worry. We simply did not see these folks struggle to make the bad things work out.

Life will never be without frustration or worry of some kind. The causes may change but we humans seem to have a propensity to need to find something to frustrate us or worry about. It may no longer be making ends meet at the end of the month that worries us. It may no longer be a boss that frustrates us but there will be something. Someone will cause us grief. Someone will steal our parking spot. Someone will cut us off in traffic. Some deal will teeter on the brink of disaster. We will worry about someone or something. Understand that life will not be worry free simply because of success. It is up to us to moderate that worry.

Find a way to put yourself back into the right frame of mind. For example. Once you reach financial independence from a job and run into frustration you may find yourself reminding yourself and others that a job is not without frustration either. But by solving your own problems you are afforded the ability to realize the success and fruits of the labor of Just Finding a Way.

Hang in there. Eyes wide open. Enjoy the journey and remind yourself that you can find a way.

Tony

Thanks Tony…and others - Posted by Rich-TX

Posted by Rich-TX on February 10, 2006 at 07:19:17:

Tony, Thanks for taking the time to encourage. It came at a great time for me, when fear and obstacles are creeping in…setting up llc, finding bond, insurance, being half-way-through the first two deals. Knowing others have the same ups and downs and just work through them keeps me mmotivated. Theres sure is power in the written word. Thanks Tony and all you others who day after day patiently help us newcomers out.
Rich

P.S. Tony, I’m going to setup my LLC today, and one of my first business expence’s will be the purchase of some of your materials.

Re: Just Find a Way (Long Post) - Posted by Ryan (NC)

Posted by Ryan (NC) on February 09, 2006 at 20:03:14:

Tony,

Thanks for the great post and a quick lift, last week was great high for us and this week hasn’t been so hot to say the least… The journey down the road less traveled has been incredibly rewarding and fulfilling but it is truly paved with frustrations that require a “we will find a way to make this work” attitude!

Best Wishes,
Ryan Needler

Tony, you and Lonnie always… - Posted by Phil-TX

Posted by Phil-TX on February 09, 2006 at 14:59:03:

write well, especially when it snows! Thanks for all your contributions to the success of so many others.

Phil

Re: Just Find a Way (Long Post) - Posted by Louis P.

Posted by Louis P. on February 09, 2006 at 11:22:00:

Hi Tony- Good post.
Soaring highs. Crushing lows. I hate to admit that I
used to actually love the drama of it. Today Im a laid
back insurance agent, but oh, man, have I had some
roller-coster events, that today look just plain foolish.
In one venture we were paid in nasdaq small-cap stock
for our promotional services. Like a dope I took the stock insted of cash. It soared to above 400 grand and crashed in a few weeks. I was left with a stack of unpaid FED-EX bills, a bruised ego and an angry wife. The chinese say “The ego is the brass ring that leads the stongest bull”
(smile)
Lou

Re: Just Find a Way (Long Post) - Posted by Bobbie

Posted by Bobbie on February 09, 2006 at 10:52:17:

Thanks Tony for helping me keep grounded. Had a HIGH day yesterday, as I do most days. After investing in rentals for 10 years, one thing I learned is sometimes it takes 10 or more offers before you “catch” a good one. When I “lose” one, I simply tell myself, "Great, now I’m only 9 away from the one I’m going to “catch”.
Your post is so encouraging that I have printed it out and have it on my wall facing my desk.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom on this board. You are extremely helpful to many of us.

Happy day,
Bobbie

Right on target…and eloquently written…nt - Posted by Joe C. (AR)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on February 09, 2006 at 10:49:09:

Re: Just Find a Way (Long Post) - Posted by osupsycho (OK)

Posted by osupsycho (OK) on February 09, 2006 at 10:40:05:

Tony,
Your timing is impecible as I was just going through one of those lows yesterday and your post helps remind me of the high that I will make happen soon, as a trade off.

One thing I always try and remember (but don’t always do a good job of remembering) is that I cannot control what happens to me but I can control how I let it affect me and how I will deal with it.

Thanks for the great post,
Jad

Re: Just Find a Way (Long Post) - Posted by Anne_LLC

Posted by Anne_LLC on February 09, 2006 at 09:42:39:

Tony,

You are so wise! Thanks for that post.

best wishes,

Anne

Great post! - Posted by Barry (GA)

Posted by Barry (GA) on February 09, 2006 at 09:37:39:

and very timely for me. There is a good deal on a s/w land home package that has come my way, but not without difficulties. However I am keeping after it knowing that “I will find a way”.

Thanks,
Barry (GA)

Re: Just Find a Way (Long Post) - Posted by susan

Posted by susan on February 14, 2006 at 11:52:54:

tryin to find a way, what do i do if i have 60,000 dollars are maybe more, i saw your article and i am looking to buy a lot are something, my mom wants to sell her house and we would put a couple homes on some property and sell them rent them or something, i would like some advice, i live in napa california.

Re: Just Find a Way (Long Post) - Posted by CR Smith

Posted by CR Smith on February 09, 2006 at 17:59:34:

Very eloquent!
I like the part about “I will be happy when”…You have to live in the NOW.
I’ve decided I’m happy now, but I’ll be a little happier (read: feel more secure financially) WHEN my wife and I have just a few hundred more a month.
That’s not too much to ask or too lofty, and very achievable with these Lonnie deals I hope to embark upon.
thanks for the inspiration!

Re: Great post! - Posted by Chris Reuman (Maine)

Posted by Chris Reuman (Maine) on February 09, 2006 at 23:02:32:

Barry,

Did you send in a 3 option letter of intent on the mobile home park we talked about?

Drop me a line or call me. Chris