Just a MH dealer license idea - Posted by Randy -IL-

Posted by JohnBoy on October 27, 1998 at 24:29:06:

Is the dealers license with office hours required for buying and selling used MH’s you buy in parks from private parties or required if you are selling new MH’s to the general public and taking trade-ins for resale?

Does the state say you must have an office that sits on a piece of real estate? What about an office on wheels? (as in your car) A mobile phone?

What about an old trailer you could build a box around and pull behind you while doing business? Road side service ya know?? Just pull up in front of the MH your looking at in the park and just say step into my office and we’ll see what we can do for you!

Just a MH dealer license idea - Posted by Randy -IL-

Posted by Randy -IL- on October 26, 1998 at 17:06:41:

Hey everyone,

I live in Illinois. I’m interested in doing some mobile home flips. (Not the acrobatic kind, the buy and resell kind, Joke HA HA)

Anyway, being one who trys not to break the law and get fined, I sent off for info on MH dealer licensing. Getting the license and insurance is not a problem. Keeping the states required business hours is a big problem. Illinois requires a dealer to keep an office open 20 hours per work week with an operating phone line. I find that interesting. No other type of licensed professional in Illinois must keep required business hours. Try telling a brain surgeon or lawyer to be in the office on time or a fine will follow.

If I’m only doing flips I’ll have little if any inventory. Why bother having an office with hours?

Would having business hours between 2 and 7 AM four days a week deter any state inspections? I know it would stop retail sales out of the office, but thats fine with me. I’ll be asleep but a sign on the office (Shed) door could say " knock at house next door". Only state inspectors and tenants would actually knock. Big deal-they already do that.

How about this idea: Find an attorney or business with a secretary who will mount the license on the wall and answer an extra phone line for a small annual fee. Technically I would be leasing 1 SqFt from the attorney and thus have a real (but small) office. That way I wouldn’t have to even have an office building of my own.

I’m just looking for creative ways to beat the “office rule” Ideas, criticisms, anyone?