John T. Reed sells Old Books - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Jack (Ky) on April 29, 1999 at 05:53:55:

He sent me an old copy of a tax book after he had published a revised copy. When I asked to exchange the older version for the latest edition, he said that he did not do exchanges.

His excuse for sending me the outdated book was that I had not made it clear to him that I wanted to buy the latest edition. He said that he could not read the minds of his customers, and unless they clearly indicated which version they wanted, he just sent what he had on hand.

I took that to mean that he was clearing out old inventory, which is a common practice, but he didn’t have the stones to say so. And it does not take a mind reader to figure out that most people would want the latest edition of any book.

Jack Stivers

John T. Reed sells Old Books - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 29, 1999 at 03:05:52:

Just a word of caution, I recently bought a number of John Reed’s R.E. books since they were relatively inexpensive. However, it never occurred to me that I would have to check the copyright dates (not on his web page). I assumed (incorrectly) that all his material would be relatively current (no more than 5 years old, 1994 or better).

As it turns out, his information is very outdated. One book was copyrighted in 1984, another in 1986, a report from 1991, and one collection of old 1980’s newsletter article reprints. Needless to say, I was very disappointed he would sell such outdated material.

I am certain that some of the information may still be valid but I plan on returning them. I don’t read or like outdated books. From what I can tell of John Reed’s online personality, he seems to pride himself on customer satisfaction. If that is the case, he will give me a full refund. I will find out soon if he will do the right thing and accept the return.

Try This… - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on April 29, 1999 at 10:58:12:

If you paid with your credit card, contact them and ask what the process is to dispute the charges.

You will probably have to write a letter to the CC company stating the dipute. They will dock Reed’s account until the dispute is settled.

Also, you will probably need to eveidence that you have tried to solve your problem with Reed first.
So, try to get Reed to give you a refund. If you can’t work it out with him,by all means, try going through your CC company. (And send your information to his favorite reporter - Ms Quinn LOL)

The CC company will send a copy of your letter to Reed explaining why they docked his acct. He can either adjust his records and give you your credit, or fight the CC company. This can be a LONG and drawn out process if he decides it is worth fighting the CC company.

Hope this helps, I would be interested to know how things turn out.