Jim FL, what are you doing - Posted by newbie

Posted by Lazaro on July 25, 2001 at 18:57:54:

nt

Jim FL, what are you doing - Posted by newbie

Posted by newbie on July 25, 2001 at 09:17:13:

differently in FL from your strategies in IL. Specifically, how are your marketing methods different?

Thanks,

Re: Jim FL, what are you doing - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on July 25, 2001 at 16:39:35:

Newbie,
Well, first, what IS your name?
I’ll be honest, I am answering you here ONLY because a few others have asked me the same question in e-mail, and this way I can answer everyone in writing.
Normally I do not respond to people who are not using a name, just one of my many “quirks” I suppose.

Anyway,
What am I doing different?
You hit the nail on the head when you brought up marketing.
I have made some changes with my marketing, but mainly it is an increase in the number of things I was doing.
I am doing basically the same type of marketing, but in greater volume.
I have a newspaper ad, bandit signs, and some flyers/business cards out there.
I have been networking with anyone I can and trying to get the word out that I am here to buy houses.
And, for ther first time EVER, I am not turning away MH sellers.
I am still somewhat in the dark on them, and will have lonnies course here soon, so that should help.
I noticed that my county has the largest number of MH’s in Florida, so it just seemed silly to ignore them.

Also, while in Illinois, I used mainly home made type bandit signs, and here they are printed professionally.
To be honest, it had to do with my signs looking more professional as well as LARGER print etc.
I have also made the decision to ad park benches at bus stops, and a few smaller bill boards to my marketing plan.
They are less expensive here, so I thought I’d give them a try.
I plan on also mailing out letters to FSBO’s, since the market here seems to be slower on the selling side.

As for the techniques, they will remain the same, subject to’s, L/O’s, and cash deals.
I am also trying to stay away from rentals entirely, because I am not a good landlord, and do not enjoy it.
However, I will be structuring some deal to create cash flow for the long haul.
I am also going to be using the mls more, since agents and brokers here seem to be a little more familiar with some of the ideas I employ.

Bottom line, I am in this to make a BIG payday, and to maintain my lifestyle as I want it to be. So, the volume of deals I plan on doing should increase over what I was doing in Illinois.
In fact, with the limited marketing we have done so far, the calls are coming in at a greater pace than they did in Illinois, so I may be looking for an employee or two within the next few months.
We shall see how it goes?!

I still have much to learn about my new market, so my final strategy is not set in stone.

I hope this answers your question,
Jim FL

P.S. No, there are no pink flamingos in my yard, nor am I wearing bermuda shorts, or white patent leather shoes.
However, I am displaying my lilly white legs for all to see by wearing shorts most of the time.
I am certainly more casually dressed than I was up north, but only because it seems to be more normal here than there.

Re: Jim FL, what are you doing - Posted by Tom – IN

Posted by Tom – IN on July 25, 2001 at 09:23:52:

Well, for one thing, before you can get a driver’s license in Florida, you are required to prove that you are legally blind. So the type on his signs has to be bigger…

Re: Jim FL, what are you doing - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on July 25, 2001 at 20:15:22:

But the Harley goes WAY better down there.

Enjoy a trip to the KEYS! It’s great!

Rumor has it… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on July 25, 2001 at 10:51:53:

that Jim beat a path to the nearest garden center and bought a few pink flamingos for his front yard!!

:slight_smile:

NOT True - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on July 25, 2001 at 10:19:29:

Hey not everyone here is old. It all depends where you live. But you better watch out for the old people wearing the big black sunglasses. ha ha ha…
Cordially,
Lazaro

& the folding walkers - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 25, 2001 at 12:49:09:

In my future former occupation of RN, do you realize how many over 75 yrs of age folks I see who need a cane or walker to walk, but they get behind the wheel on a daily basis? It’s scary…(!)… I mean one ran into the back my ole 1980 mercedes (very heavy car) and totalled it at a stop light… HELLLOOOO… I don’t think you’re considered a Florida local down in Miami/Lauderdale until you’ve been hit by a elderly motorist. I mean haven’t you noticed an absence of motorcycyles on the roads? There’s a reason…(grin)

SandyFL

p.s. Reno for Governor

SandyFL

Re: NOT True - Posted by Valerie PA

Posted by Valerie PA on July 25, 2001 at 10:30:49:

Not to mention a checkered hat with ear flaps… in August!

Hey! I resemble that remark!! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on July 25, 2001 at 10:27:57:

:slight_smile:

How 'bout all the ones who… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on July 25, 2001 at 15:26:39:

come to a DEAD stop (on a major highway) before they pull off?

geez…

First things first… - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on July 25, 2001 at 14:08:17:

First I lived in Miami for 15 years. Yes, I know what you are talking about but not all of us are old. ha ha ha… Second who told you that Reno would be a “good” candidate for Governor? I would surely NOT vote for her. I say we stick with Jeb Bush which has done a GREAT job for us all. I can tell you that Bush’s agenda for schools is a Great one. And you may ask yourself how do I know that. Well because I was in High School During his Term and I noticed it VERY well. Second I have personally met him and his philosophy on OUR state is a great one. Email me privately so we can continue this talk. ha ha ha… Now back to Real Estate. ha ha ha…

Re: NOT True - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on July 25, 2001 at 14:09:14:

ha ha ha that is funny! But I ain’t the one wearing it. ha ha ha…
Cordially,
Lazaro

Re: Hey! I resemble that remark!! - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on July 25, 2001 at 14:10:18:

Which one the one with the HUGE black sunglasses that looks as you just came out of an eye surgery? ha ha ha…
Cordially,
Lazaro

Re: How 'bout all the ones who… - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on July 25, 2001 at 18:57:00:

ha ha ha…

Re: First things first… - Posted by John P.

Posted by John P. on July 26, 2001 at 05:52:07:

Lazaro,
Jeb’s agenda for our schools is a terrible one. I know because my wife teaches in S.FL. I agree with Sandy.

JohnP. S.FL

Re: First things first… - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on July 25, 2001 at 14:15:28:

You noticed it very well? Well you have convinced me! ;o)

Yes - discussion such as this should take place off of the board.

SandyFL

Looks like ‘Cataract Surgery City’ down here! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on July 25, 2001 at 15:22:54:

as a matter of fact! :slight_smile:

Geez…and HERE I thought I was JUST being in style (and I don’t even have BLUE hair [YET!!]!