is there a new law on credit checks? - Posted by ai

Posted by ai on December 13, 2006 at 13:22:49:

Thanks, ai

Re: is there a new law on credit checks? - Posted by Clare Z

Posted by Clare Z on December 15, 2006 at 17:37:37:

Can also try First Advantage Saferent TN: 800-999-4010

More info please - Posted by Judah hardmoney Hoover

Posted by Judah hardmoney Hoover on December 13, 2006 at 14:42:41:

tell us more? what do you think changed?

Re: More info please - Posted by speednxs

Posted by speednxs on December 13, 2006 at 17:25:08:

This is what I got from my Credit Check bureau:

Dear Tenant Screening Client,

The federally regulated credit bureaus have set forth new changes effective January 1, 2007 that are affecting every landlord in the United States. Site inspections of your principal office or residence (if you operate from home) are now required to have full access to consumer credit files. However, AmerUSA has developed the AmTRAX report for those who do not wish to have a site inspection or simply cannot.

If you registered before October 23, 2006, you must visit AmerUSA.net to learn about the changes and simply re-register to become compliant. AmerUSA has setup two account options for you to choose from: http://amerusa.net/tenant_screening_comparison.html

For those landlords requesting the new AmTRAX report that do not wish to have a site inspection, AmerUSA will personalize our new rental application with your name and contact information free of charge.

If you have any questions, please contact customer service Mon-Fri 9m-5pm EST at 727-467-0908 (Closed Thanksgiving Day, Friday & Saturday)

Thank you for your continued patronage all these years.

Customer Service

LINK TO SITE WHICH STATES:
Effective November 1, 2006: The federally regulated credit bureaus require a site inspection of your principal office or residence (if you have a home office) and wish to have full disclosure to an official credit report. As an alternative, you may use the AmTRAX® tenancy report to avoid a site inspection.
What is a site inspection? A licensed third party organization will visit your office or home (wherever you screen your tenants and keep your records) to verify the following: Consumer credit files can be stored securely in a locked room or locked filing cabinet, you operate in a legal manner and are not operating an authorized business such as an attorney, massage service, credit repair or counseling organization, law enforcement agency, private investigator, tattoo service, bail bondsman, adult entertainment service of any kind, credit report reseller, news agency or journalist or dating service.

Re: More info please - Posted by ai

Posted by ai on December 13, 2006 at 15:22:48:

i heard lls are going to have to have an on site inspection of business to get a credit check on a future tennant, with some of the requirements being; a door that opens directly to the outside of your office, a business phone # in the telephone book, a shredder, a locking file cabinet etc… Can you research this and get back to me? if it is true, i’ll have to set up my office somewhere besides my spare bedroom. Thanks

Your local Rental Association - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on December 14, 2006 at 10:13:06:

Your question clearly illustrates the need for the newbie LL to find and affiliate with his local Rental Association as those groups exist primarily for the purpose of LL education; On-going education, as every local situation changes constantly.

Rental laws and regs are 99% state statutes and muni ordinances so it’s local info you’re needing and the law and rules are not uniform or consistent around the country.

So find, join and learn.

Re: More info please - Posted by elaine

Posted by elaine on December 13, 2006 at 16:42:15:

I have run into the same problem. A company that I have been obtaining credit checks for years, suddenly required the office check out, which was fine and then said they no longer do credit checks for landlords and cancelled. Several others I have checked with said they do not do credit checks for landlords. Does anyone know one that will?

Re: More info please - Posted by Ken

Posted by Ken on December 13, 2006 at 15:33:02:

Not sure if it is a law but i know the company where i did my credit checks sent someone to verify my office was like that but check out mrlandlord.com they do credit checks and maybe you can get around it by going through them