Investor-friendly professionals - Posted by Chris_NJ

Posted by Chris_NJ on October 02, 2003 at 10:07:15:

Just to note - the investor-shy folks that I mentioned are really just acquaintances of mine and not people I’ve approached regarding any particular property deals - they haven’t at all discouraged me to track down a few of the many professionals who I’m sure are very willing to work with RE investors.

Thanks.
-C

Investor-friendly professionals - Posted by Chris_NJ

Posted by Chris_NJ on October 02, 2003 at 09:26:36:

Hello All.

As I get started, I’m at the point where I should be making some contacts in the areas of lending, title co’s, law, and of course RE agents as well. I’m wondering if people have found an easy time of locating investor-friendly attorneys, agents, etc. when they’re just beginning. I know at least a few people in these capacities who like to think of REI as “that infomercial nonsense” - I’d like to have faith that the prevailing attitude among their professions is otherwise though. Any thoughts?

-Chris_NJ

Re: Investor-friendly professionals - Posted by John

Posted by John on October 02, 2003 at 21:23:48:

Hey Chris,
I am also a newbie, I am from the same area in northern jersey…maybe we can exchange emails?..and share real estate experiences we have in the area?..I think it would be helpful for both of us. Let me know what u think.
John

Re: Investor-friendly professionals - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on October 02, 2003 at 10:27:30:

Well, if you look at it from the perspective of the professionals, most of the time when they are approached by a new “investor” it IS a recent infomercial viewer or seminar graduate who has just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but ultimately isn’t able to close a deal. Since the profesional is paid for his or her time, it’s not hard to see why many of them don’t want to waste theirs with a newbie who, statistically speaking, isn’t likely to bring them any business.

The way to get past the prevailing attitude is to close a couple deals; then they will take you seriously. In the meantime, if you have a local investor’s group, go to their meetings and you will probably meet some professionals there who will be glad to work with investors.

Brian (NY)