Investor and Licensed Home Inspector - Posted by FlipperX

Posted by DaveD (WI) on February 22, 2004 at 15:11:24:

It isn’t the “course” Dave… it is the experiance. It’s all about time on the job slogging it through. Since you can’t replicate my experiance I guess school is the second best. Many community tech schools are teaching the stuff. As with all educational offerings, your milage may vary. You see, the “certificate” means you can charge for inspections, but you really don’t get good until you’ve crawled through a lot of attics and crawl spaces :frowning:

Investor and Licensed Home Inspector - Posted by FlipperX

Posted by FlipperX on February 21, 2004 at 07:42:33:

Hello all…

I am considering becoming a Licensed and Certified Home Inspector, but making RE investing my main business focus.

You think sellers and other investors see you in a different and more positive light?

Anyone on here doing both Home Inspections and Investing?

Thanks!

Re: Investor and Licensed Home Inspector - Posted by DaveD (WI)

Posted by DaveD (WI) on February 22, 2004 at 13:53:46:

After going through a couple thousand houses you get real good at figuring out what’s going on. A tremendous benefit for when you need to quickly assess a house for your own. I figured it was a good way to get close to the market, and was able to work a few deals. I was certified for 8 years but got out a few years ago. Way too much liability! The education, though is priceless as it lives on. Investors do way better than inspectors IMHO.

Frankly, other investors and homeowners don’t care a wit if you are an inspector. Mostly, the homeowners care about what you can do for them. Good luck!

Re: Investor and Licensed Home Inspector - Posted by Jerry Martin NC

Posted by Jerry Martin NC on February 22, 2004 at 08:21:03:

I am a Licened Pestologist and do wood destroying organism inspections for a lot of realtors. i have been doing this for thirty years and have been investing for seven years. It is a plus to have a network of realtors that I work with who know what kind of properties I buy. I get six or seven calls a week for properties to see and possibly make offers on. It works out great.

Re: Investor and Licensed Home Inspector - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on February 22, 2004 at 15:02:10:

DaveD,

You say “The education, though is priceless as it lives on.”

I’m not interested in becoming an inspector, but would love to learn how to evaluate a fixer. How does one become educated? Do you know of any schools? Maybe I could take the ‘course’ but not get the certificate.

Dave

Re: Investor and Licensed Home Inspector - Posted by FlipperX

Posted by FlipperX on February 22, 2004 at 09:59:34:

Thanks for your reply. I thought maybe it would be a conflict of interest, but it sounds like it’s working very well for you!

Continued success!