I'm close ... but need a little help =) - Posted by Ed Eaton

Posted by Ed Eaton on June 20, 2002 at 14:07:27:

… but I will if I HAVE to! =)

I’m close … but need a little help =) - Posted by Ed Eaton

Posted by Ed Eaton on June 19, 2002 at 17:09:50:

I’m slowly learning exactly how the foreclosure process works in my state, as I want to give pre-forclosures a shot. I have access to all of the lis pendens filings at the courthouse, however they are listed by the plaintiff and defendents’ names and usually do not include an address or any contact information on the defendant/homeowner. So basically I have a list of about 20 names in front of me of people in my area being foreclosed on, and I need to figure out the best way to reach them. Even worse, I don’t even know what city they are in - only that they live in 1 of the 6 nearby cities that the local court serves. Does anyone know of any good websites, etc. where I can search for addresses and/or phone numbers based just on a person’s name? Or any other ideas for me?

Re: I’m close … but need a little help =) - Posted by Stew(NE)

Posted by Stew(NE) on June 19, 2002 at 23:09:09:

Do you have a Lot number, i.e., Lot 23 Briarwood. If so maybe you can cross reference it with the Tax Assessor Database. That’s what I do here.

I’m a little confused… - Posted by r0xw0rld (MA)

Posted by r0xw0rld (MA) on June 19, 2002 at 21:02:30:

Ed,

If you already have access to the LPs, is it safe to assume you have access to deed info as well? My thinking is to take the names you have from one database and search with that name on another database. Sort of a stepwise approach. Please clarify.

r0xw0rld

Re: I’m close … but need a little help =) - Posted by jeff

Posted by jeff on June 19, 2002 at 17:36:35:

have yuo checked the courthouse? i dont know about your area, but here i can type in a person’s name and it gives me all their deed and mortgage info as well as marriage licenses and other public record info. if any of those people are in your area, try that. it wont give a phone number but it will give the address of the deed they currently have and that is more than likely the one benig foreclosed upon. after you have an addy, the rest is downhill.

theres probably a better way, but i have done this a few times and never had any trouble yet.

Here’s the scoop… - Posted by Ed Eaton

Posted by Ed Eaton on June 19, 2002 at 21:40:32:

I’m able to access the lis pendens filings online, and I created a custom software program to search for, filter, format, etc. the exact info I need every night automatically while I’m sleeping. The only problem is I don’t have online access to the other databases, etc. so I’m just trying to figure out the best way to get the addresses without having to actually go to the court house every few days. I’m going to be doing this full-time and looking into every single LP that’s filed, and having to go to the court house every morning or even every few days doesn’t excite me, when there are more important things to do. Ya know?

Just looking for an easier way… - Posted by Ed Eaton

Posted by Ed Eaton on June 19, 2002 at 20:35:37:

I’m able to access the lis pendens filings online, and I created a custom software program to search for, filter, format, etc. the exact info I need … so I’m just trying to figure out the best way to get the addresses without having to actually go to the court house every few days. Some of the them actually have addresses listed in the info I have access to online, but most don’t.

We’ve all got to start somewhere… - Posted by r0xw0rld (MA)

Posted by r0xw0rld (MA) on June 20, 2002 at 08:57:48:

Ed,

Nobody wants to put more effort into something than they have to, but sometimes you just have to do the dirty work.

I’m starting out too and I went to the local tax office to get out of towners. I asked for access to their database to run a query for the info. I’m an old software engineer so this seemed like a simple enough request. Well I might as well been from Mars with the way they looked at me. The lady pointed over to two massive books and said that’s where I could get the info.

I didn’t want to do it, but I went through each page (2000+) and got what I needed. It took two days and I hated it, but I learned so much just sitting in the office. I also built a good relationship with the ladies in the office. I was actually able to call up and get some info faxed to me once. They don’t even do that for the realtors.

My suggestion…you’re already 2 steps ahead with the custom software. Generate your list of names. Once a week go down to the courthouse and keep rolling.

If financial freedom was easy, we’d all have it right?

Good Luck, r0xw0rld

Re: Just looking for an easier way… - Posted by jeff

Posted by jeff on June 20, 2002 at 15:38:12:

hmmmmmmm

well i got somethign else that probably wont work but might. you will need to go about it differently.

im sure but will give you another idea to work off of.im sure youve tried an online phone book? if you have the name you may try to do a search for the number and addy online.

i know my area is alot smaller than yours but i got an addy in another town for an out of town owner with a vacant house that way a few weeks ago. i got a tip from a person at the newspaper office that her neighbor had moved a year ago and left the house empty. she gave me his name and i looked it up and it gave me the address and phone number. it worked for me. with your larger area youll more than likely get several listing per name but with your other info from online maybe you can zero in on them that way. maybe not either, just a suggestion.

if you can get a phone number you can do a reverse phone search, i use that alot for mailers on newspaper ads.

im sure youve already tried all this but just in case i figured id throw it in.

No doubt… - Posted by Ed Eaton

Posted by Ed Eaton on June 20, 2002 at 14:06:47:

I totally agree. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not lazy. In fact I’m the hardest working person I know. But obviously I want to work “smart” too. I know there are online databases where you can find a person’s address with just their name and city and/or state, because I’ve seen them before. I just never bookmarked them, and so I was asking if anyone could recommend something. I called back the clerk at the court and she said the info I have is the same info in the books at the court house. So some of the LPs just don’t list the defendant’s address (usually the property address) for some reason. Thing is, the court serves 6 different towns so as crazy as it sounds I would have to go to up to 6 different recorders offices’ just to figure out where the dang person lives. I really don’t want to go to 6 different recorder’s offices’ once a week that’s for darn sure…