Illegal tenant - Posted by Junior

Posted by GL - ON on May 27, 2003 at 13:18:35:

I’m puzzled. You keep calling it a “two family” then you describe 3 apartments.

Are there 2 apartments or 3? I can answer your question but the answer depends on how many apartments there are, and whether they comply with the building codes and zoning.

Illegal tenant - Posted by Junior

Posted by Junior on May 27, 2003 at 12:15:33:

I am just curious whether anyone has ever encountered this situation before:
I am in the process of negotiating for a two family building which is rented to three different tenants. The building has three floors. On the first floor you have one tenant in a one bedroom apartment, on the second floor there are two bedrooms which are shared by a tenant and his niece and on the third floor there is a studio apartment. My lawyer is telling me that three tenants in a two family building means that one of them is illegal. He also states that if I ever need to evict that illegal tenant it could take up to six months before I get them out. I am wondering what are my options in this scenario and if anyone has ever seen or dealt with this issue before. Thanks for any feedback. By the way I live in NY.

Re: Illegal tenant suggestion - Posted by bob

Posted by bob on May 28, 2003 at 12:19:57:

this is a common occurance in NYC which has a tremendously tight housing market. I read somewhere else on this forum that exmayor Ed koch said ‘if we evict all the illegal tenants in this town half the city will be on the streets’ I would suggest doing a search for posts by Frank Chin he is an investor in NYC with years of experience and has talked about this subject on these boards alot. I remember him saying it was common place and not something to worry about to much. but dont take my word for it go find his postings (there are a ton of them but they are all worth reading he always writes long well written posts full of pertinant details about the NYC area)

good luck!
bob

Re: Illegal tenant - Posted by Darwin (NM)

Posted by Darwin (NM) on May 27, 2003 at 18:21:12:

Run like the wind, not worth the effort or the hassles