I want them to leave a message every time! - Posted by mike

Posted by eric on March 24, 2000 at 16:52:02:

two phone numbers. One for tenants, they get a machine. One for prospects, they get a human. Most answering services suck, but executive suite firms can do a good job, and even give out some basic information if you script it out. They are more expensive than answering services, but everything in this world is negotiable.

I want them to leave a message every time! - Posted by mike

Posted by mike on March 24, 2000 at 16:28:55:

My wife and I have 38 rental properties and continual newspaper ads out there looking for more to buy and selling some of what we have. Very compelling ads (created by many of the gurus off of this site) that keep our phones ringing.

The problem:
It?s hurting our personal time (we work out of the home). I?ve found that 60% of the phone calls we don?t pick up, don?t leave a message. In our business, you must catch the phone. What is some solutions for hanging onto these inquiries without talking in person? Any good answering machine messages? Looking to make life easier and more enjoyable.

Re: I want them to leave a message every time! - Posted by GregNorman

Posted by GregNorman on March 25, 2000 at 22:22:53:

Mike,

I never answer the phone from prospective and actual tenant/buyers. I use CommunicatePro! on my computer. It has multiple mailboxes that I give descriptions and directions to the home and tell them about any open houses, etc.

Just about any software system will work though. (I just thought Communicate had the best features and was easiest to use). You should be able to find it at about any computer software place.

GregNorman

Re: I want them to leave a message every time! - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on March 25, 2000 at 21:54:30:

I have a multi-mailbox machine. The 1st message says paraphrased, “Nobody is in the office right now, if you are calling about the property for rent press 1 on your telephone keypad now…” Mailbox #1 says, “The property for rent is x bedrooms, x bathrooms, yada yada yada, rent is $x, deposit is $x, the address is xyz, directions to it are xyz, if you want to make an appointment or have any questions please leave your name and number.” Everyone who leaves a message has usually driven by the property and knows all the basic info before I ever even talk to them. I have found that probably half the people just want to know 1) where the property is located and 2) the basic stats of size and $$$. The serious people always leave a message. Very easy.

Re: I want them to leave a message every time! - Posted by Mike McB (FL)

Posted by Mike McB (FL) on March 25, 2000 at 07:19:39:

You might consider getting “Caller ID” (if available in your area). This shows you the number of the person who called and gives you the opportunity to call them back.

Re: I want them to leave a message every time! - Posted by Mark WA

Posted by Mark WA on March 25, 2000 at 03:35:19:

Some prospective tenants just want to see the place first and call for address info, so they can check the place out, neighborhood, etc. Dispense that info by the ad or the phone msg. Lookie-lou’s aren’t inclined to leave msg. motivated tenant candidates are more likely. And an invitation might help coax them to get over their shyness. Believe it or not, some folks are still hesitant to leave aphone msg because of concern they won’t get a return call, or like my mom, just hesitant with ‘those gol durn machines!’ My 2cents.

Re: I want them to leave a message every time! - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on March 24, 2000 at 22:43:40:

Mike-

One possibility to try is to leave at the end of your advertisement “PLS. LEAVE MESSAGE” so that the callers know in advance that they will get a recording.

-Chris