I think he's trying to scam me! - Posted by beck4353

Posted by Kelly on October 03, 2006 at 15:58:24:

if he took it to a bank and they detected it was counterfeit, they would have confiscated it and there would be a paper trail.

Also you may want to check with the US Treasury/Secret Service as they are the ones who investigate counterfeiting (or at least tell him you have).

I think he’s trying to scam me! - Posted by beck4353

Posted by beck4353 on October 03, 2006 at 14:52:15:

I am currently rehabbing a house. I have done all of the work up until now. I brought a contractor in to mud/sand the drywall for the whole house. He quoted me $800 and said it would take 3 days.

After a few days of excuses etc. he is still working on it 8 days later (maybe 2 days of actual work).

Anyway, I gave him a $250 cash deposit, he gave me a receipt. When I talked to him last, he told me that 4 of the 20’s ($80) I gave him were counterfeit!

I got the money from my brother, who owed me $950. He gave me the money in an envelope that he got straight from the bank. I gave the contractor this money right from the same envelope, which leads to 2 possibilities.

1. He is lieing to me to try to get an extra $80 out of me.

2. The bank gave my brother counterfeit money.

I believe #1 is WAY more likely.

How would you guys handle something like this?

I’ve asked for the counterfeit bills back to look at, but he hasn’t brought them yet.

Thanks!

In some defense of the contractor - Posted by Mike (Seattle WA)

Posted by Mike (Seattle WA) on October 04, 2006 at 17:23:31:

Drywall work is 20% labor, 80% waiting for mud to dry. If the place has no heat and it’s been raining a lot, that could also slow down the process.

Re: I think he’s trying to scam me! - Posted by Stan

Posted by Stan on October 04, 2006 at 11:02:56:

Kelly is right on. If he tried to prent them to his bank and they discovered it, the bank would not return it. However, there would be a trail. Now if he tried to present them to a store, merchant, etc and it was discovered, I am not sure what would become of it. Regardless, I would not take his word for it. I would make him prove it. Now having said that, if he comes back from his bank with documents stating that it is infact being investigated, he still could not prove that is the bills that you gave him. However, you would need to determine how you would want to proceed. I suppose that you could play tough and say that he can not prove those are his bills. Frankly, if I like that guy’s work and wanting to use him again, I would probably pay the guy. But certainly not before he presented some proof.

Re: I think he’s trying to scam me! - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on October 03, 2006 at 16:30:30:

I’d be concerned that this is someone trying to feed a habit.
Advise caution–

Tye