I feel like I'm losing deals on the phone... - Posted by DougW

Posted by Mike on March 20, 2002 at 22:08:55:

Keep your mouth shut you ask the questions but don’t ramble on, answer the peoples questions, and see what happens. It is ok to have silence in between your question and their answer. I ask and await the response. the silence you allow will make you alot of gains. More than anything what you are after is the resolution of the sellers problem, once you determine what the sellers problem is then you can resolve it with you offer.

I feel like I’m losing deals on the phone… - Posted by DougW

Posted by DougW on March 20, 2002 at 20:40:55:

This is my first month of actually making a push forward and doing it. Got the ads going, talked to 34 sellers in the past 5 weeks. Not great but not bad. Made one offer after sitting down with the seller, a second meeting pending this weekend. No deals yet…

I know this is a numbers game, but I was hoping 30 sellers would equal one deal.

My concern is I feel that I am talking myself right out of deals. I am predominantly using some language from LeGrands courses. I know that I am not finessing these too well and could use some advice in regards to the art of negotiating.

Thanks

DougW

Re: I feel like I’m losing deals on the phone… - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on March 21, 2002 at 08:13:20:

You may well be right, but it’s hard to say how without knowing the specifics. What kind of deal are you trying to find? What kind of sellers are calling? Are they the kind you had hoped to be targeting with your advertising? Is there any one particular point in the conversations where they seem to be getting hung up? Or is it just that you aren’t “closing” the call by getting an appointment with them? More info may get responses better tailored to your situation.

Check out Joe Kaiser’s articles - Posted by DavidCAL

Posted by DavidCAL on March 20, 2002 at 23:21:44:

I posted the same type of thing recently and Joe Kaiser said when you know you have a motivated seller on the other end, get off the phone! That is, get over to their house and begin establishing rapport.

Re: I feel like I’m losing deals on the phone… - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on March 20, 2002 at 23:05:56:

Don’t negotiate over the phone, they can’t sign the contract. Concentrate on developing a rapport and setting up a meeting. You don?t need much information to go to a meeting. If you?re not making offers you have time to waste.

Sellers need to feel comfortable with you before they will turn over their property. After a certain point you might as well practice with real people. You can’t fix a deal that you never had, so relax. It’s easy to relax when you know your subject material well and know that you know it.

Check the telephoning comments in the How-to article section.