How to to market raw land - Posted by Dineen Murray

Posted by Rich-CA on November 05, 2008 at 10:09:51:

Our Hawaii land is in a recorded subdivision. But the subdivision never broke ground. So the location and condition of development (both nearby and in the same subdivision) makes a huge difference. Also, local areas that require a builder to bring utilities and roads in before building will matter since this is rarely done until construction is imminent.

How to to market raw land - Posted by Dineen Murray

Posted by Dineen Murray on November 04, 2008 at 11:51:25:

I’m a beginner investor I have purchased my first piece of land right away I want to flip it! Does anyone have any marketing ideas?

Re: How to to market raw land - Posted by thutch fl

Posted by thutch fl on November 05, 2008 at 07:16:56:

It depends on if it is raw land or just a lot that is in a already defined subdivision.

If it is a lot, we have found great success having a realtor do a search for every realtor that has sold a piece of land in that zip code and emailing them our wholesale deal. If you are trying to flip retail, then I agree with the others, your wait could be enourmous.

If the lot is in Florida, fill out the form at www.ibuyland.com and I will take a look at it for you.

Re: How to to market raw land - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on November 04, 2008 at 17:09:46:

Not enough info yet to advise. Check the Archives.

“Flip” is unlikely - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on November 04, 2008 at 17:09:36:

Land moves the slowest of all until its in the middle of a redevelopment or other major project. Even then the project could never get off the drawing board. We own a piece of land in Hawaii (ocean view to boot) where the price shot up on rumors of imminent development and crashed when the development got killed through litigation. Expect to have to hold the land a LONG time until you can unload it.

Re: How to to market raw land - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on November 04, 2008 at 15:54:01:

Welcome to the RISKIEST part of real estate investing!

I suggest you search the archives, there is lots of info there on raw land.

Search the archives on every board that you visit.

Raw Land…is Highest Riks and Highest Reward.

BUT: you must know what you are doing. I know of NO major investment group or developmental group that will buy land without knowing EXACTLY what they have to do to complete their project BEFORE they purchase the land.

Things involved include but are not limited to zoning…what can you put on it?, Utilities…where are they and how much to get them to property?, Infastructure…how much is needed and how much will it cost,?..Plans, permits, local costs, ?..the list goes on and on and on…

Good Luck,
Bill H

Re: How to to market raw land - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on November 05, 2008 at 12:58:01:

I agree with Rich-CA…being in a subdivision DOES NOT make it worth while if as Rich says, things have not been done.

I can show you lots of subdivision (I get lots in them at the tax sale every year) that have not been started and the land is almost worthless.

Have a friend, who for the last 20 years or so, has been buying tax liens on a subdivision that was started in 1967 YES 1967 (were you around then?)and has NEVER been started…so…I’d say being in a subdivision is not necessarily a good sign.

Good Luck,
Bill H