How to get the seller to avoid seeing the lawyer? - Posted by Joe

Posted by JoeKaiser on March 12, 2001 at 01:43:18:

How to get the seller to avoid seeing the lawyer? - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on March 08, 2001 at 20:34:52:

It seems like every seller I see wants there lawyer to see the lease option contract even though its pretty easy to understand. How do I avoid this so I don’t have to waste all this time.

Thanks
Joe

We do something like this - Posted by Merle E Woolley

Posted by Merle E Woolley on March 09, 2001 at 18:16:13:

In 16 years, I don’t know of one of our sellers or buyers who have consulted an attorney. Yes, the subject has arisen, but I always respond exactly the same way. (Attorneys reading this … please do not take offense).

"Folks, I would be very happy for you to take our contract to your attorney. But, let me say this. No matter what your attorney says, we won’t be changing anything on our contract. We spent thousands of dollars developing our system and the contracts we use. They are designed to make the business work for everyone’s benefit. Quite likely your attorney would look for changes to benefit your interest … perhaps even more than ours.

And yes, he/she will find changes to make. After all, if he handed the contract back to you and said it was all OK, you might not like paying his fee. After all, he didn’t do anything. Not true, but that is a concern. He will find something.

Take it to him, listens to advice, then make your decision as to whether or not you want to do business with us on the terms as they are described in the contract. If not, that’s Ok with us … we respect your decision just as we hope you respect our opinion to run our business the way we want to."

Or, something like that. Writing it out sounds different than when we say it. Like I said, we’ve never had a problem … never lost a purchase or sale because of it.

Hope this helps you.
Merle

Avoid seeing the lawyer? - Posted by don, sdca

Posted by don, sdca on March 09, 2001 at 14:38:22:

Supporting what Sue and Pat said - go with them whenever possible (“I’d be GLAD to meet with your attorney to get this thing all wrapped up”)!

I think sellers want to see if YOU mean what you say and will meet with their attorney to PROVE it! (kind of checking to see if your honest and trustworthy).

Know your agreenments and how they help solve the seller’s problem… then meet with the attorney and “sell, sell, sell”

Hope this helps,

don, sdca

You’ll have to teach the lawyer:) - Posted by SueC

Posted by SueC on March 09, 2001 at 08:21:54:

Yes, if you can go with them, do it, because the lawyer probably won’t understand what they’re looking at either :slight_smile: and a confused mind says “no”

Go with them - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on March 08, 2001 at 20:49:12:

Have them schedule the appointment, and go with them. They are only looking for a trusted second opinion. That is if the deal is good enough, if its tight then call them in a month.
Pat