How much do you pay a handyman? - Posted by DCSteve

Posted by Marcos on November 20, 2003 at 14:50:06:

$25/hr is the going retail rate in many markets. However, I typically pay closer to $12-15 an hour. I buy materials, etc. Of course I usually have enough work to keep a crew busy, so I don’t know if it would work on an occasional job. Just ask around, find what others are paying.

HTH,

Marcos

How much do you pay a handyman? - Posted by DCSteve

Posted by DCSteve on November 20, 2003 at 12:51:20:

I’m sure this varies geographically, but I have a handyman I’ve used in CO before that charges $25/hr. Is that reasonable? I’m an out-of-state landlord for this CO property, so I value having a handyman I can trust, but I want to make sure I’m not short-changing myself.
Anybody in the DC area know what they charge around here?
Thanks in advance!

Re: How much do you pay a handyman? - Posted by ken

Posted by ken on November 21, 2003 at 21:18:41:

I have a few guys skilled guys $11-$13. Painter $10 unskilled laborers $7 All on the books. Skilled guys get 1 week paid vacation and major holidays paid. The other guys are easily replaceable. Located in albany NY

Re: How much do you pay a handyman? - Posted by Todd B (Va)

Posted by Todd B (Va) on November 20, 2003 at 23:00:22:

I think the best you are likely to do around DC is $20 per hour for a good handyman. Most charge more than that, seems like they charge almost as much as contractors. I recently talked with one who has no employees, but does have a contractors license, he makes 50k per year from his own work, and 25k a year from subcontracting. He only works 25 hours per week. Makes me regret going to college.

Todd B (Va)

Re: How much do you pay a handyman? - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on November 20, 2003 at 18:27:59:

I have two crews, now, that work on my houses. They do just the simple stuff- sheetrock, paint, cabinets, fans, lights, siding, etc.

I have two guys who go in before and after. They do plumbing, electrical, leveling, slabs, roof repair, AC, etc. I pay them $18/hr. and $10/hr. I give them 40-50 hrs and they’re cool with that arrangement.