how do you make your own 18x24 bandit signs - Posted by vladimir IL

Posted by David Alexander on July 15, 2001 at 11:57:41:

Everyone has had a better use of time… than my current foray… which In hindsight I probably should have left alone… Live and learn. I guess in this game at somepoint you always going to have a problem or too, crop up their head.

I think Tim and Monique narrowed it down, though… I have a tendency to focus on creation rather than saving.

In other words I would rather go out and make a deal that makes me 20k than paint a house for a guaranteed $450 in savings. If I spent a week finding a deal then the it would eclipse the money saved.

Guess what I’m ultimately saying is that to get ahead… say your a guy just starting out… You focus on doing things to save money… which if your living paycheck to paycheck then you’ll never get ahead, but if you focus on doing a deal and making enough to get ahead… Play leapfrog as John Burley says… then you can buy some breathing room. Otherwise you’ll always be in a cathc 22.

Your in a place where your secure and you can take the time to smell the roses, do the things you choose… but money buys time and you wouldnt be able to do that otherwise…

When your starting out you dont have that option… You have to spend a little of one paycheck to buy some signs, a little of the next to buy a course, and if your concentrating on painting houses during that time you may end up behind the 8 ball instead… of ahead it. You can trade money for time… but trading time for money is hard unless your a highly paid athlete, Oprah, an entertainer or something of that nature.

Again, this is just my opinion, one that was developed by wathcing several businesses go down because I tried to do everything and have my finger in control of everything… as you can see from the post above I may not quite excercise enough control.

Talk to you soon my friend,

David Alexanader

how do you make your own 18x24 bandit signs - Posted by vladimir IL

Posted by vladimir IL on July 12, 2001 at 21:27:42:

Hi all,

What is the simplest way to type your own message on a 18x24 piece of corrugated board?

I know a place on the internet, where I can buy complete sign, conisting of colorplast and stands for less than $2/ea unit. (50 minimum)

This is the place
http://www.ssky.com/coroplast.htm

Thanks,
Vladimir IL

Curious… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on July 13, 2001 at 12:38:36:

Do people really want blank chloroplast to do their own signs?

Folks give me some feedback. Been there done that and it’s alot of work… my opinion.

Your talking about spending 100 bucks, when You could order about a 101 signs and spend around 250 bucks which is pretty reasonable.

Your time has to be worth something and 150 bucks divided by however many hours it takes to manually do them (assuming you could produce one in 15 minutes, I believe longer) that’s 4 an hour, that means it would take 25 hours… or about 6 bucks an hour…

We are Real Estate Investors… We find and take down deals.

This analogy isnt just for signs… but painting, carpeting, cleaning, yardwork etc.

Your time is the most valuable thing you have and until it treated that way, money will be fleeting.

This post is not intended as slight, hopefully helpful rather.

David Alexander

Re: how do you make your own 18x24 bandit signs - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on July 13, 2001 at 01:24:22:

Vladimir,
Since I am waiting for my signs to arrive still, I decided to make a few of my own to put out.
I bought the coroplast blanks locally.
I bought some stencils, and a single sheet of regular poster board, 18 x 24.
I laid the message out on the poster board, and traced in the letters with a pen.
I then removed the stencils and used a box knife to cut out the outlines of the letters for my message on the poster board.
After this, I just lay the poster board template on the coroplast blanks and used some quick dry spray paint to paint the letters on the coroplast blanks.
I did 50 or so of them last night in my garage, and they look okay for now.
It was a rather tedious task, but until my new signs come in, I at least have some to get the phones to ring.
And the cost was low.
About $.75/sign, since we can get coroplast cheap here.

I’ll let you know how they work, but I’m sure they’ll do just fine. Just don’t let the paint smeer or run and it will look better.

Take care,
JIm FL

Re: how do you make your own 18x24 bandit signs - Posted by Arnold Puera

Posted by Arnold Puera on July 12, 2001 at 21:55:11:

here’s the place to go:

the BEST place for these signs--------period!

Re: Curious… - Posted by DanT

Posted by DanT on July 14, 2001 at 21:30:41:

Dave,
You and I have crossed this terrain somewhat before. Real estate investing is a multi faceted business. It can and is done in many ways succesfully. Why do you insist on pigeon holing it into your way only. You seem to be so knowledgable in many areas that I find it interesting that you would frequently berate someone for wanting to do their own work, no matter what it is. It’s there choice. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I am a really good renovator. I am a really good tenant manager. You, from a past post, don’t seem to be that good in that area. I on the other hand am terrible at sales. I don’t deal well with folks that don’t understand the business so I deal with proffesionals when they struggle to get rid of property they are stuck with. Nothing wrong with either of us, just different. The folks that want to make there own signs, maybe they are artistic and would enjoy doing it in there spare time. So what? I don’t have a daughter and like to work long hours. Again, my choice. Hope you enjoy your choices. My opinion. DanT

Re: Curious… - Posted by TarheelT

Posted by TarheelT on July 14, 2001 at 17:43:30:

BUT–isn’t your view SELF Serving because YOU have
a business making bandit signs?
Tracy Thompson

Re: Curious… - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on July 13, 2001 at 15:12:28:

AGREED! Write the checks! That is hard enough work for me.

Sunday??? Brisket??

Re: how do you make your own 18x24 bandit signs - Posted by JuneGa

Posted by JuneGa on July 13, 2001 at 06:56:57:

Where do you buy Coroplast blanks?

No berating… - Posted by MatthewC

Posted by MatthewC on July 15, 2001 at 11:26:29:

I don’t think anyone is berating you, maybe just giving your a broader perspective of how to get more done with less.

If you want to continue on your path, more power to you. Just realize that there are a lot of people who don’t work for the sheer joy of it, they do it to accomplish an end result. For many of us, it is financial independence/freedom. And working less. That means accomplishing more with less.

I like real estate and what it can do. But I am not necessarily in love with every task I do and don’t want to. I focus on what is important to me, cashflow. And my efforts revolve around accomplishing that as efficiently as posssible.

Having said all that, I think you will be in the minority of people who voluntarily wants to work “long hours”. If that is what you enjoy, great. But just realize, a lot of people are trying to go the other way, to work less and get more done.

You’ve Got an Interesting Point … Here’s My Take - Posted by MoniqueUSA

Posted by MoniqueUSA on July 15, 2001 at 05:27:10:

Interesting points you raised, Dan.

I tend to favor trying to farm out any work or tasks that aren’t revenue generating or true business planning (the critical thinking and visionary planning). We’re a long way from being there, but that’s what we envision.

But all this building a business stuff is to allow each of us to do the things in life that we really want to do and enjoy. To be with the people that are important to us. To spend time exactly the way we want to.

Some people enjoy spending hours in their garden. They enjoy it because it brings them a sense of peace, calm. It allows them to see something they create and shape to take form and grow. It’s their time to be one with nature and do their part in making something beautiful.

If that’s what truly turns me on and makes me high on life, why shouldn’t I spend some of my time gardening at the houses that I own, or have on the market? It seems to me that I absolutely should.

So, in one area the goal is to focus my time on high value tasks in the business (such as revenue creation, business growth planning). Clearly, another goal is to spend time doing the things and being with the people that complete and fulfill me.

The challenge is that “in between” stuff. Like the tasks in the business that I’m very, very good at and can do easily … but don’t fit either category of being high value or something that makes me “high on life”.

For me, it’s spreadsheets. I’m very good at building them to organize our info – from P&L statements, to charting timelines for managing complex projects, to marketing effectiveness tools, to whatever. I find it easy to do. Since I’m good at it and I can bang them out quickly, I find myself doing alot of them in our business. In a sick kind of way, I actually enjoy it (smile).

Is this day’s spreadsheet (I’m sure I’ll modify or create some spreadsheet today) a high value task?
That is, could it be done by someone else so that I can focus on higher value tasks in the business?
You betcha!

If money and time were no object, would I chose to spend time today working on a spreadsheet?
Is it something that makes me high on life and fulfills me?
Heck no.

But I do it because it’s easy for me.
I do it because it would take me longer to tell someone else how to do it.
I do it because I’m sort of proud of what the output looks like.
If I’m totally honest with myself, I do it because I don’t really feel like working on one of those higher value tasks in the business right now.

So, I do the spreadsheet. Or, I call around to check prices on the cost of the new postcards we need. Or, I verify the SubjTo payments were posted this month. Or, I run to the PO Box, open the business mail, and pay bills. Or, I go to the courthouse to gather prospective seller info. Or …

I’m working on eliminating that “in between” category.
I’ve got quite a way to go, but I’m making progress a little bit at a time.

MoniqueUSA

I’ve been there done that… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on July 14, 2001 at 22:19:11:

with the whole work thing… decided it wasnt for me.

If you focus on making money and time important you will have time for the things that are important… Art, dance, sports, family, Religion, hobbies…

What I am talking about is trading your time for things that can be hired out at much cheaper rates than it would cost you to do them… Why work for X amount an Hour… What is your time worth?

I still do negotiations on houses, which is something I enjoy… but when I become a better teacher, you can bet that will be the first job given to someone else.

I have never said mine is the only way… Just my opinions… you can agree or not…

I have just owned my own job in too many instances, it was never worthwhile… or fullfilling to believe I had to do it all.

David Alexander

I guess it could be construed as that… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on July 14, 2001 at 20:25:26:

But I’ll be honest if he made his own bandit signs, it wouldnt hurt my business. We aren’t just in business to make Bandit (chloroplast signs) signs, we make magnetics, banners, vehicle graphics etc., we just grabbed that business name and .com because it made marketing sense.

But I also firmly believe that your time has to become worth more than money or you won’t make any…

If your time isnt then stay in a job… to make a business you need to employ others to your tasks.

I had even toyed with whether I should put the post up but I have at times took a Big Fat marker and written up a sign on blank chlorplast… It was a painful 15,20 minutes a side writing up the sign… Just didnt think it was time well spent… could’ve been fining more motivated sellers, or spending time with my daughter.

David Alexander

Re: I’ve been there done that… - Posted by DanT

Posted by DanT on July 15, 2001 at 06:04:53:

Dave,
I agree that you should work in the areas that are fullfilling, that is what working for yourself is all about. But your list of values is my point. You state" If you focus on making money and time important you will have time for the things that are important art, dance, sports, family, religion, hobbies…" My point is that art, dance, sports are not important to me. Does that make me wrong? No. Does it make you wrong? No. We just have different interests and view points. I take a great deal of satisfaction in hanging doors. Could I hire it out cheaper, probably, but I chose to do it as I find it fulfilling. I realize that this issue is a matter of opinion however you state it as though no one will be successful without doing it your way only and that is simply not true. Your way, as mine is one way, and a good way, not the only way. If folks want to “work” in their business, especially early on they should no be berated for doing so. Assuming they reach a degree of success they will start shedding the issues the dislike or find less beneficial. I have over the last five years or so started hiring out about 20% of the work on my rehabs. Stuff I don’t like to do. Have an accountant, stuff I don’t like to do. Never have done a spread sheet, and won’t. All different, all ok. DanT

Dan… - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on July 15, 2001 at 10:32:25:

Dan,

I do not wish to speak for you, but I want to voice my opinion.

I have noticed that there seems to be people on here who think that doing their own work (labor) is below them. The are too important to bother getting their hands dirty and that they are somehow a better person then you because you do the labor yourself.

It seems more like an attitude than anything else. I happen to do a lot of work myself and do not mind it. I make a very good income at what I do and I enjoy it. I think people would be surprised at how much money you can save soing things yourself. An example is a small house that I own. To have the interior painted, it would cost around $500. I can do it my for $50 and get it done in a day, in 3 hours if I use my sprayer. I think that $450 for one days work is a good wage. Plus, when someone gives you a bid to d painting, if you get to that point, then you have an idea how long it will take and if they are overpriced or not.

Now I know some people will say that while you are spending the time painting, you could go out and find deals and make ten times that. That is true. However, you could use that time, go out and try and find deals and end up with no deal. The $450 is gauranteed savings. The finding the deal is not. Heck, why not paint and have your calls go to your cell phone. That way if you get a hot prospect, you just drop the roller and go see them. Just bring a clean pchange of clothes.

Tim

Wrong assumption… - Posted by MatthewC

Posted by MatthewC on July 15, 2001 at 11:37:47:

It has nothing to do with getting dirty. True, getting dirty isn’t always pleasant. However, I have often said, I would go wait on tables again if I ever got desperate.

The fact of the matter is those who think and delegate generally make more in the long run than those who do and labor. This is why educated people tend to make more over their lifetime than people who task away.

And what is “good pay” is relative. You say $450/day is a “good wage” and a “guaranteed savings”. Not that I don’t value $450, but having made $1000/day without sweating physically, your argument carries very little weight with me.

I will get dirty (and sometimes do) but not really because I want to. It just means that I wasn’t smart enough to be more efficient.

Re: Dan… - Posted by DanT

Posted by DanT on July 15, 2001 at 11:01:50:

Tim,
Agreed. But my main point is that I strongly disagree with putting out the perception that if you do your own work in any form that you will not succeed in this business. I am succesful and I work a lot. But I chose to. I have a close friend who is a landlord that is equally if not more succesful that does little if any of his own work, because he chooses to. But he doesn’t state that if you don’t focus on only finding deals you won’t be a success. But I will belabor the point no more as I see above Dave has other issues on the table that are certainly of more value to his time than this discussion. Thanks for the input. DanT