How do I ask a Realtor to do comps for me? - Posted by Debra(SC)

Posted by Debra(SC) on January 18, 2000 at 06:32:51:

nt

How do I ask a Realtor to do comps for me? - Posted by Debra(SC)

Posted by Debra(SC) on January 17, 2000 at 16:44:20:

What is the going rate for that? Do you have to have a house listed with them or something? How do I know the REaltor won’t go to the seller and ask him to list with his company when I tell the Realtor the location of the house I want comps on? My Realtor friend, who is supposed to give me comps on a property, has to check with her company to see if she can do that. In the meantime, I need to get it now so I can make this offer on the house from the “OH NO” thread I have been talking about. My friend is a NEW Realtor, so she’s learning, just like me.

Any advice from you pros?
Debra

Re: How do I ask a Realtor to do comps for me? - Posted by JoeB(Atlanta)

Posted by JoeB(Atlanta) on January 17, 2000 at 21:50:56:

Debra, there is no fee for a realtor running comps, it’s done all the time by friendly agents. You can find a friendly agent by either buying/selling something with them, or the genuine promise to do so in the future. They will be more than rewarded by your first commission with them.

I don’t generally tell my agent the exact address of my target house, when she pulls comps for me. I just say “could you run comps around Oak Street, maybe include maple, walnut, etc. All actives, sold (for last yr) and pending/under contract.”

Hope this helps,
Joe Brillante

Re: How do I ask a Realtor to do comps for me? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 17, 2000 at 19:49:46:

Debra,
Why not try to use some of the FREE comp services on the web. You could try iown.com or Octitle.com
Both offer FREE comps.
Yahoo also has a sales price lookup page available.
For that one, you will see less info than the others, but if you drive the area, and write down a few addresses of like homes, you can see there sales price.
And, lastly, in my area, REMAX offers FREE comps.
It is in the newspaper everyday.
Call a local office and ask them about it.

And, something many of us here do, befriend a FEW RE agents, and have them run some comps for you.
Also, one time when my computer was in the shop, my agent friends were all busy, I called another RE brokerage, and told the agent that I was looking into possibly buying and selling a home in a certain area.
I asked them to do some comps for me, and then fax them over.
It took her 2 hours, but I got what I needed.

And, some people here tout the FARES program for doing many RE related things, including comps.
I do not have the info on getting it, but you could goto Joe Kaiser’s website and ask about it. He uses it, and even has a “Deal” negotiated for his students.
His website is www.nothingdown.com

Hope this helps,
Jim IL