How do I approach the neighborhood REI guru?? - Posted by Ralph

Posted by winston,CT on June 17, 2002 at 15:27:21:

I would wait for him to be outside and then introduce myself. See what his patern is, but don’t stalk the “poor” guy!

How do I approach the neighborhood REI guru?? - Posted by Ralph

Posted by Ralph on June 17, 2002 at 13:04:38:

I just found out that the young rich guy down the block made his fortunes in REI. He’s not known for being the nicest guy in the world…so I’ve been somewhat hesitant to go over to his house and say “Hey…teach me!”

For you more experienced folks, what would a wannabe mentee have to do to convince you take him/her under your wing? A formal letter? A knock on your door? A phonecall? Any tips on what NOT to say or do would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks!

Ralph (IL)

Hey Ralph!..Read these threads - Posted by Bill (NY)

Posted by Bill (NY) on June 17, 2002 at 18:52:03:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/94888.html
http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/96186.html

I did just what you are about to do. I had heard ALL kinds of things about the guy I went to meet, mostly bad. Turns out the guy was great! Make your own assessment, most people speak badly of someone they’re jealous of.

Hope these help and good luck.:wink:

Bill(NY)

Re: How do I approach the neighborhood REI guru?? - Posted by jeff

Posted by jeff on June 17, 2002 at 17:55:26:

sounds to me like the guy may be on an ego trip. if this is true, the best way to get to be his newfound buddy is to play into that egotistical need of his.

i agree with the other poster here, tell him that youve heard hes tha man in town. make sure you let him know hes the smart one (whether its true or not) and that you think hes about the best thing going.

Re: How do I approach the neighborhood REI guru?? - Posted by tyler

Posted by tyler on June 17, 2002 at 13:22:46:

pick up the phone, explain your a neighbor looking to get into real estate and had heard that he is definitely one to get advice from

Thank you, Bill! - Posted by Ralph

Posted by Ralph on June 17, 2002 at 19:14:32:

Nice story! Hopefully my experience will be just as rewarding and positive.

You guessed it right…the whole neighborhood hates this guy. Why? I haven’t heard a really good reason yet beyond “He thinks he owns the town.” The guy used to be mayor of the town. I often wondered what he did for a living now, but nobody could explain it to me, until one of the neighbors mentioned that he was a “slumlord”.
The guy’s only 36, and is obviously successful…we’ll see what happens!

Thanks again!

Ralph