House in Central America - Posted by Holly

Posted by Hank FL on January 18, 2004 at 17:47:53:

John, Fran, GoofusGallant or whatever name it is today:

You’re going to have to look pretty hard to find posts where I give advice on this board. You might find where I told Ryan that REOs in a hot market isn’t the best place to look for deals. That’s a fact I know from real world experience, as I used to be an REO guy. I also gave Ryan some tips on what to say (or what not to say)when knocking on an FC door. I also gave him a tip on how to leave info behind (on the FC stoop) so others won’t steal it. Those ideas came from real world, trial & error experiences. Hmmmm… . . what other advice have I given here? … hmmm … not much… hmmmm … I know, I told some guy how to make bandit signs for 50 cents a piece. By making thousands of signs and mistakes, I learnes how to do 'em good & cheap. David Alexander, the bandit sign king, congratulated me on the idea.

So to review, whatever advice I do give (which is rare)comes from the real world school of hard knocks.

And btw, the info I gave on Central America is true, as my family has been doing living and doing business there since the 1520s.

House in Central America - Posted by Holly

Posted by Holly on January 16, 2004 at 18:44:48:

Does anyone know if there are any banks for purchases out of the U.S. ? My associate is interested in purchasing two homes he saw in Central America.

Thanks !

Holly

Re: House in Central America - Posted by Alexander Manuel

Posted by Alexander Manuel on January 17, 2004 at 23:30:40:

Just wanted to comment that I almost purchased some land in Costa Rica as an investment but chickened out b/c I live in Florida, wasn’t sure, blah blah (the usual). Anyway, I have a friend that went for it and the area has more than doubled since (3-year period).

Can’t help you on the financing aspect, but if you have connections down there or someone you can trust to keep an eye out for you and your interests…go for it! I wish I had.

Re: House in Central America - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on January 17, 2004 at 07:46:13:

Home loans are harder to get in Central America if I may make a generalization.

If I may make a second sweeping statement, keep in mind that scamming gringos is a popular pastime down there.

What country?

Resources to help: House in Central America - Posted by calgal

Posted by calgal on January 16, 2004 at 22:57:51:

http://www.stewarttitlelatinamerica.com/

Visit the above website and scroll over the map of Latin America until you find the country of interest, make a note of the contact information and ask there first. Second to that, here are a few links to some brokers as found online. The first one recommends the above link as a resource:

Something else to consider in addition to all the legalese is the reality that not unlike California, Latin America has its fair share of earthquakes, see:

http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/ for current seismic activity throughout the world. It seems a bit more active than in the last 10 years, just something else to consider in addition to the uniqueness of living in some beautiful and interesting areas such as those throughout Central America.

Re: House in Central America - Posted by John

Posted by John on January 17, 2004 at 21:57:39:

Hank,

Seriously man, do ever speak from your own experience or do regurgitate what you read or what others have experience and past on to you?

I am curious because I have read many of your posts and from what I can tell, you have very little experience in the RE investing field.

You remind me of what Ron LeGrand calls “the little Guru syndrome”. You want to sound important cause your ego needs a boost.
My friend, it is better to keep your mouth close and people will not know that you know very little then open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Do some deal man, and then speak of your experiences.

Almost every post I read of yours has no factual basis to it. And even sometimes, your post are inacurate and could cause a newbie to make an error based on your advice.
I don’t mean to be harsh but please, post when you have something to add. Not just to “hear” yourself “talk”. It gets old fast, dude.

Will you be at the convention? I need to look you up when I get there.

Have a great day and give your typing fingers a few days off.

Central America - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on January 18, 2004 at 24:38:34:

Since the archives seem to be in good working order these days, you may want to be specific with whatever point you are attempting to make about any previous idea I have put across here.

I am only human and therefore bound to make mistakes - let’s debate.

I do find it entertaining that I have gotten under your skin for so long that apparently you’ve blown your top over this Central American post of mine.

This is the exact wrong thread to challenge me on my friend.

Pick another one.

Re: Central America - Posted by john

Posted by john on January 18, 2004 at 17:00:54:

Hank,

this is no challenge and you are not under my skin. it is just apparent that you really have no real world experience in RE investing. Nothing wrong with that other than you give advice on which you are not qualified. We were all newbies once but as newbies we didn’t give other newbies advice.

I am sure that someday you will be a kick a$$ investor because you seem to have the theory down and you seem to be out there trying to put deals togethor. All I am saying is give advice when you have real world experience. Anyone can regurgitate what they read.

I don’t want to have a Pi$$ing contest with you. All I am asking is that you give your typing fingers a rest.

'nuf said.

have a good day

Wrong - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on January 20, 2004 at 15:16:55:

Would you care to take a step back and a few of your inacurate words as well?