Hot or not????? - Posted by Ed Ortiz

Posted by Ed Ortiz on November 24, 2000 at 13:43:29:

Hi Robert,

The heater unit I wrote about in the forum is one of those heater A/c units similar to the ones that you would use in a regular home with the Electric a/c and gas heat. But the wall units I was thinking about were electric. Also could you bring down to my HVAC expertise level the folowing sentence: “Goodman also known as Janitrol makes a decent gas furnace. If you could establish an account with a supply house you can buy a 80% efficient gas unit for about $350.00.” Honestly I didn’t get this part. Are you talking about a central or a wall unit where would this type of unit would be placed in the house? Sorry for all the asking
I appreciate your help and thank you for your time.
Ed Ortiz

Hot or not??? - Posted by Ed Ortiz

Posted by Ed Ortiz on November 22, 2000 at 12:51:02:

The heating unit in one of my rental MH (only two left)just stoped working.I had a couple people look at it and both said that it would be around $1,500.00 to replace. Now,the A/C cooling part of it is still working fine. Somebody suggested that I get a couple of heating units instead. I’ve seen those wall units before but never got a price on one of them does anybody have an idea if these will do the job. Any other suggestions…??? I really don’t wan’t to pay 1,500.00 to fix a unit on a MH I paid 3K for. Thanks in advance for any input.
Sincerely,
Ed Ortiz

I’m with Ed… - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on November 26, 2000 at 11:30:20:

Those little units are cheap, but cost alot in terms of peace of mind and liability exposure. I’ve found used furnaces pretty cheap ($100 to $250). The local Community Action people will also install new furnaces FREE for low-income owners…they have been begging me to send them work! I also install fire alarms and extinguishers in all homes and just started putting carbon monoxide detectors in homes- a MUST with used furnaces!

John Hyre

Re: Hot or not??? - Posted by Robert Escalante

Posted by Robert Escalante on November 23, 2000 at 22:57:37:

Hi Ed. Are we talking about a gas, oil or electric furnace? Is it located inside the mobile home or is it a package heating cooling unit located outside? I don’t recommend any type of wall units for a M/H because the risk of a fire is greatly increased. These type of units tend to overheat some areas and underheat other areas leading to comfort complaints.

Goodman also known as Janitrol makes a decent gas furnace. If you could establish an account with a supply house you can buy a 80% efficient gas unit for about $350.00. If the furnace is located inside the M/H and the ductwork is ran underneath the M/h you will need a “downflow” unit.

I install all types of A/C and furnaces. I appreciate this forum very much. I’ve read every post for the past year and a half. I’ve bought Lonnies books and am starting to put it all together! If you need more information about installations feel free to email me.