Home Security Systems - Posted by Bruce Reeves

Posted by TomG on April 30, 2002 at 18:18:06:

Have you tried Consumer Reports? Also a well known national consumer advocate on the radio says to find a company that does NOT require a contract. I don’t recall now why, but at the time he made sense and I found myself agreeing with him.

Home Security Systems - Posted by Bruce Reeves

Posted by Bruce Reeves on April 30, 2002 at 18:07:34:

I have spent 45 minutes online trying to find reviews on home security systems. I have not found any useful information, so I will give it a try on this board. Does anyone have any advice on which company has the better reputation. ADP, Brinks, etc. I only found one site that said Protection One had many complaints filed for various customer service issues.

Thanks for any feedback.

I use Slomins for my rehabs - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on May 01, 2002 at 07:23:36:

Bruce,

I put a system in every one of my rehabs. I do it to protect the property during rehab and pending re-sale. For my purpose, it’s very reasonable.

You asked about service, though. I have to admit that they struggle a bit with the administrative issues related to my systems because they are atypical…while I own them, I pay for monitoring, but they can’t monitor because I don’t put in phone lines (I rely on the inside sirens as a deterrent).

Let me know if you are considering security systems for rehabs…I can elaborate on the contract, pricing, re-sale, etc.

Ron Guy

Re: Home Security Systems - Posted by Mark-WV

Posted by Mark-WV on May 01, 2002 at 06:22:30:

In any area the company that sells the system isn’t as important as who will do the monitering of it.Most areas have only one or two company’s that service the account reguardless of who sells the system.

As you can see I live in southern West Virgina and my system is monitered by a company in Baltimore ,Md. Any one can sell and install a security system it’s not hard to install nor is it difficult to buy any component of a system, you can have anyone install it and then contact the monitering with someone else, so just watch the low price deals that are tied to a long term contract for the monitering.

Hope that helps,
Mark -wv

Security tools for residential properties are a great and innovative way to check on your properties. You can always install security cameras and alarms, these are the most common two tools that residential properties use in order to ensure the population’s safety and security. There are a lot of tools out there, but these two are the most common and well known, and useful when the time is needed.