Help, want to learn about Fixer upper - Posted by Marcello

Posted by Mike Schmidt on April 20, 2001 at 09:05:33:

Hey JohnBoy,
If you are ever in the area working on your shop in my area, let me know, would be honored to buy you a few beverage of choice!!! There is a great little chicken wing place down the road from you called Hooties or something like that : )

Help, want to learn about Fixer upper - Posted by Marcello

Posted by Marcello on April 19, 2001 at 19:56:53:

HI,

I am looking to take some courses to become more knowledgable about fixing up properties. I am very interested in fixer uppers because I see the whole project as kind of a hobby. the problem being is that I have very little knowledge of what to do. I am young (mid-twenties), live in San Diego, and I would like to find a plan to learn how to do these myself (ie construction course on evenings or weekend, etc).

Can anyone reccommend to me how I can learn about this.

Thanks again everyone.

Marcello.

Re: Help, want to learn about Fixer upper - Posted by Bob in Atlanta

Posted by Bob in Atlanta on April 20, 2001 at 09:03:22:

One other idea…go in with a partner that is very handy. That’s what I did. I’m average as a handyman but I got a partner that is the best.

The problem is it’s like being married to a beautiful woman - I’m worried about him leaving me.

Re: Help, want to learn about Fixer upper - Posted by Mike Schmidt

Posted by Mike Schmidt on April 19, 2001 at 20:28:31:

Its my opinion that some people no matter how hard they try, just dont make good carpenters. Others can pick it up just by reading about it or by looking at something and knowing they could do it. I would suggest you learn which you are first, if you dont know for sure. I owned a home improvement business for several years and hired many “helpers”. Some were amazing some could never even learn how to dip a brush in paint!.

I wouls suggest you go to your local Home Depot and sit in on some of the hands on training they do. There should be a schedule posted of which How To class is being offered this week. There is no charge and you will learn quickly if you can do it and also if you will enjoy doing it.

When I was in the business there were things I had never done before that I would quote on, if I got the job I would get a book on the subject…LOL…I used to tell customers in a joking way that I never did this before, but I plan to build my own home and figured a good place to practice was on their house first. Most would laugh, none knew I was serious : )

There will probably be some things you will do once and then tell yourself never again…like roofing and me…hate it, wont EVER nail another shingle as long as I live.

Re: Help, want to learn about Fixer upper - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on April 19, 2001 at 22:45:13:

That’s the good thing in telling the truth. Some people think you’re joking and laugh about it, when you were being serious! LOL

Same thing happened when I told my parents I was getting married! They thought I was joking until they got a call a week later from my future mother-in-law and said, “well, they’re getting married so we need to figure out the arrangements!”

My mother: WHAT??? Well didn’t he tell you? Um, yeah, but I thought he was joking! Nope, it’s no joke hunny, they’re really getting married!!!

Then of course, I had to listen to a 6 hour lecture on how I was throwing my life away and how I was to young and it wouldn’t last! That was 23 years ago! Ya gotta love it, when a plan comes together! LOL

Re: Help, want to learn about Fixer upper - Posted by Kate (VA)

Posted by Kate (VA) on April 20, 2001 at 07:43:58:

Jeez, JohnBoy, I can’t believe you’ve been married 23 years! How old were you? 10?

Re: Help, want to learn about Fixer upper - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on April 20, 2001 at 07:47:59:

Hey, I don’t fool around! I get the job done! LOL

I was 18