Help! Vacant land in Florida many years ago. - Posted by BennyC

Posted by JamesA on July 04, 2001 at 19:49:13:

If he stopped making payments on it, one would venture to guess that whoever he was making payments to has taken it back. Even if they have not done so, by now the taxes would have put it up for sale. I am not super familiar with the tax sales in florida but it is possible if it was not taken back by the person it was being purchased from that it is sitting there available to be redeemed for backtaxes. Try and find out what county it was in that would make you job a lot easier.

JamesA- maryland

Help! Vacant land in Florida many years ago. - Posted by BennyC

Posted by BennyC on July 04, 2001 at 18:03:25:

Hello everyone, please help!

My landlord (in New York) bought a vacant land many years ago (around 1983) in Florida, but he lost all the documents of this vacant land in a fire (around 1984), and after the fire, he stop the payment (for the purchase of the land) and the tax on the vacant land. He even forget where is the land is located in Florida (even don’t know what is the county etc.)

He asked me if there is anyway to find out the address of the vacant land and verify if it is still under his name.

Please help!!! He is wondering if using his social security number maybe able to find out, but not sure and don’t know how.

Thanks very much for all of your help in advance!!!

BennyC

Re: Help! Vacant land in Florida many years ago. - Posted by BennyC

Posted by BennyC on July 06, 2001 at 07:24:50:

Thanks very much Ronald and James for your help! I know it is not easy, because it was many years ago, and he really don’t have any idea where in Florida… But he is thinking that Uncle Sam should have all the information (property ownership etc.) of everyone so that no one can escape tax etc, that’s why my landlord think with the social security number, he should be able to check all the property under his name. Would that be possible?

Thanks again for your time and help!!! :slight_smile:

Re: Help! Vacant land in Florida many years ago. - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on July 05, 2001 at 21:08:49:

Benny C-----------

Boy, tough one. If the property were in CA, it is possible to do a statewide owners search using just his name. One does in on FARE’s (First American Real Estate Solutions) dial-up property program.

FARES has some counties in FL in their system. I do not know if they have a state-wide search program for the state. You could call them and ask them. Their number is 800+345-7334. There would be a fee for the use of their service. Ask them about a possible one-shot search charge.

I have their service, if they have the search available and do not have a pricing option you like, I would be willing to run it for you. You would have to pay the cost of the run, of course. It would be best to at least narrow down the possible counties. Ask him to think about it and try to get clues where it might be.

Good InvestingRon Starr**********