HELP!!! Ray - Posted by OhioBill

Posted by OhioBill on January 01, 2011 at 22:09:02:

Ray thanks for the input. This is a startup so I cant get any history except for the usual financials and credit.
I agree I think that industry is doing quite well even in this economy and I definitly dont have any other tenants knocking my door down. The 3 spaces are 1300s.f. 1750s.f. and 1950s.f. so it pretty much fits in the envelope.

HELP!!! Ray - Posted by OhioBill

Posted by OhioBill on December 28, 2010 at 13:38:06:

Ray I have a little 3 unit strip center, totally vacant, which I am trying to put together a tenant mix, I am not getting much play from anywhere, it is a very busy street, great visablity and decent demographics. I have just been approached by a Tattoe Parlor of which I have mixed emotions, I think they are in demand at the time but what other kind of tenants would even consider moving in with them???
For the good of the center should I just pass on them?

Re: HELP!!! Ray - Posted by Vic in Ohio

Posted by Vic in Ohio on December 31, 2010 at 12:31:23:

What city are you in Bill?

Re: HELP!!! Ray - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on December 28, 2010 at 16:17:21:

Hi Bill,

I wouldn’t brush off the tat parlor lightly… I don’t have one as a tenant, but being in a small college town we’ve got several that do equally well in strip centers, downtown storefronts and even highway locations.

From what I’ve observed, those with a good reputation tend to have steady traffic, loyal customer base, and can generate surprisingly strong (cash) sales. There seems to be no real divide between the type that cater to the biker crowd and the rest. Not sure if one group is better or worse, since these days “bikers” can include bankers, lawyers and other professionals. :wink:

Not knowing your area or any other info about the tenant (length of time in business, reputation, etc.) my general advice would be to check then out with the state licensing board (here they are licensed, check your state), local biz license and the usual verification of the principals. If they are an existing operation moving from another location get a landlord reference and check out the present operation to view the clientele.

As for tenant mix, there are a lot of complementary businesses that cater to the young demographic the tat parlor draws… 18-30 years old, working young with disposable income, socially connected students, and a large number of athletes. Businesses that cater to this cohort include computer gamers, sports/outdoor equipment stores, check cashing, specialty retail, consignment shops, etc.

Much depends on the square footage available… 1500-2500 sq. ft. tends to be the ideal for small businesses. The key is the synergy in traffic. If your location is near other businesses that cater to the demographic and concentrations of apartments then you can get a nice mix.

Last, assuming you get comfortable with this specific tenant, ask them what businesses they deal with regularly that would benefit from co-location.

ray

Re: HELP!!! Ray - Posted by OhioBill

Posted by OhioBill on January 01, 2011 at 22:03:38:

Vic, I am in Dayton