Help on Green Tree Repo (long) - Posted by Gregory (VA)

Posted by Gregory (VA) on September 15, 2004 at 15:21:39:

I just got finished calling to make a bid on the home. I asked representative how much they wanted for the home and she explained that they only took bids. So I said that the home is in real rough shape and I can’t offer too much on it as it is, and that this is my first time bidding. I was about to start with a $500 offer, but before I can get the words out of my mouth, she tells me that wholesale bids on the trailer start at $10k and retail (if they fix it up) is $16k. I laugh nicely and tell her that that is way more than I can see paying for that home. We exchanged pleasantries, and that was that.

I didn’t get a hold of the actual representative who works this area though; she was out of the office. I might give her a call next week and see if she says the same thing. And I’ll call again in a few months if I still see the trailer for sale, and see if they have/will come down on the price.

But man, someone was right when they said Greentree is not living in the real world, . . . or maybe I ain’t. Oh well, it’s one of the two and I’m determined to find out, lol.

Help on Green Tree Repo (long) - Posted by Gregory (VA)

Posted by Gregory (VA) on September 13, 2004 at 15:41:27:

While driving through my favorite park last week I noticed that this one Green Tree repo was still sitting there unsold. It is a good-looking (at least from the outside) 1994 model singlewide, 14x66, 2BR/2BA. I remembered it from a few months ago when I went inside and almost didn’t make it back out (if you’ve ever seen Joe’s Apartment, you know what I mean).

This place was completely trashed on the inside. I wasn’t going to touch it with a 10-ft pole, at least, not for my first deal.

So, here I am. I’m off to a really slow start and thinking about this home again. I stop by to see if anything has been done to it. I find out the carpet has been ripped out, the considerable amount of trash scattered on the floor has been removed, and they have set off a couple foggers to kill the insects.

It actually looks like a rehab here might work. The outside as mentioned before is in excellent shape, just a few small holes in the skirting (no more than a few inches each) and the siding is in good shape.

The Central AC unit (outside) looks trashed and would at best need repairs and at worst need to be replaced. In my estimates I’m going to use replacement. The house used Gas heat as I found two huge gas canisters by the rear door.

The wooden steps leading up to the door a bit wobbly. After looking at it, and analyzing the base, I conclude that it’s mostly wobbly because it wasn’t build secure enough. Thinking a few well-placed screws would probably give it a lot more strength.

The inside walls have several small holes in the drywall, not more than a few inches wide each. Does anyone know of a good way to repair/patch small holes like that without buying new drywall? Is there anything I can use to just smooth over the hole?

Most of the walls have wallpaper on them. It is very dirty and I feel I am better off painting over them. Can you just paint over wallpaper, or do I have to remove it first?

The fridge is just horrible, old, rotten and moldy food inside. I might be better off replacing, but the cheap side of me thinks a good thorough cleaning would do the job. (I figure if I bring in an ozone machine as my finishing touch, I can leave the fridge doors open and that would take care of any lingering smell).

The Bathrooms are very bad as well. The sinks are full of cigarette ashes and other assorted stuff. I did turn on the faucets and they did work and drain properly, but going to err on the side of safety and pour a bottle of Drano in each. The sinks are also smudged with cigarettes and dirt. Is it possible to get these back up to snuff by cleaning? Any cleaning advice on the sinks? Toilets flushed fine but are very dirty too.

The kitchen is actually pretty decent. The tile floor looks nice as well as the countertops. Of course it needs a lot of cleaning, but you can tell even through the dirt that it is nice looking.

With the rug gone, that is one less obstacle for me. Won’t have to tear it out myself. I figure I will paint the plywood with Kilz to lock out the smell. Finally, I will place cheap flooring (read my other post below) to make the place presentable. I will finish up with using an ozone machine for several days to kill any remaining odor.

I?m thinking of offering Greentree $250 for the place. I don?t see it being worth much more to me. It?s going to need a lot of time and a few $kk to get the place up to snuff.

Here’s how I figure my numbers would work out:
Purchase: $250
Sales Tax: $27.5
Lot Rent: $1,110 (3 month holding time)
New Flooring: $741.26 (using wood looking tile)
AC Unit: $500 (guess)
New Fridge: $500
Washer/Dryer: $500
Electricity: $150
Insurance: $100
Misc: $500
Total Invested: $4,378

I figure I should be able to get between $12-16k for the home once completed.

So, any advice for my first possible rehab?

$250 will never buy it - Posted by Dave Baker

Posted by Dave Baker on September 14, 2004 at 09:40:43:

Having bought several repos from several sources, I can virtually assure you that a $250 offer will never fly for a mid 90’s 14 wide home in ANY condition this side of half burned. If I were Greentree, I’d horse laugh at an offer like that, (no offense).

I would personally bid $1500-$2500 for that home in my area and,(depending on my competition that month), would be lucky to get it.

Good luck though and let us know what they say.

Dave Baker

Re: Help on Green Tree Repo (long) - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on September 14, 2004 at 08:51:07:

The best way to fix the rickity steps is to pull them away from the house and then nail a piece of treated plywood to the back of them. A piece about two feet high and as wide as the steps are works real nice.

Re: Help on Green Tree Repo (long) - Posted by Barry (GA)

Posted by Barry (GA) on September 13, 2004 at 19:55:37:

“The inside walls have several small holes in the drywall, not more than a few inches wide each. Does anyone know of a good way to repair/patch small holes like that without buying new drywall? Is there anything I can use to just smooth over the hole?”

According to size, use lightweight spackling for the smaller holes. If they are large enough that the spackling won’t hold then you will have to use joint compound and tape.

“Most of the walls have wallpaper on them. It is very dirty and I feel I am better off painting over them. Can you just paint over wallpaper, or do I have to remove it first?”

If this is the mobile home wallboard then you should be able to just paint right over it. If it is actual wallpaper that has been put up then you will need to Kilz it before painting. If the edges are coming loose you may want to stick those down good with caulk or take it down because the latex paint will cause the wallpaper paste to release from the wall and make bubbles.

All of this is from my wife who is a professional painter. Hope it helps!

Barry

Re: Help on Green Tree Repo (long) - Posted by Howard

Posted by Howard on September 13, 2004 at 18:14:02:

In my experience GreenTree is rarely a motivated seller, but you never know. AC unit will be ~900 to 1000 installed, but that can wait until you get a buyer. New frig is usually necessary, but washer and dryer can be left to the purchaser. For this investment, consider self-insuring. I am assuming you are allowed to work deals in this park. If you haven’t touched base with the park manager, you need to read the last 100 posts on this issue. If all is ok with the manager, it seems like a good project for experience and a reasonable profit. Good luck.

Howard

Re: $250 will never buy it - Posted by Gregory (VA)

Posted by Gregory (VA) on September 14, 2004 at 11:56:41:

Dave, you might be right. To be honest, I really don’t expect to get it for $250. I’m not locked into that price or this deal. If we can negotiate to terms that I find reasonable, I’ll buy. If not, I’ll walk away.

I don’t care if they want to eat the $370 lot rent for six more months to try to sell it for $2-4k to someone else (it’s already been about four months).

I look at things this way, I don’t have to buy but they have to sell. I’m positive I’ll be able to find another deal that will work if this one doesn’t.

Re: $250 will never buy it - Posted by Tom (GA)

Posted by Tom (GA) on September 14, 2004 at 10:57:19:

Just got a '95 14x80, 3/2 in great shape from Vanderbilt. Set up in a park. Already cleaned up with a bag of trash by the back door.

They wanted $4000, I did my “horse laugh” and BOUGHT it for $400. Here’s a link to the pictures. http://we-buy-homes.9f.com/Pictures/149H/

Tom (GA)

Re: Help on Green Tree Repo (long) - Posted by Gregory (VA)

Posted by Gregory (VA) on September 14, 2004 at 08:04:05:

Thanks for the comments Barry. :slight_smile:

Re: Help on Green Tree Repo (long) - Posted by Gregory (VA)

Posted by Gregory (VA) on September 13, 2004 at 19:15:49:

Thanks for the input Howard. And yeah, the Park Manager is good with me working in her park. Even gave me a couple leads.

Well, Tom you stole it for that and… - Posted by Dave Baker

Posted by Dave Baker on September 14, 2004 at 15:36:08:

…Your one deal is BY FAR not the norm. A 1995 14 wide like yours is generally a $3000+ or so mobile wholesale. By telling newbies all of these stories about how ten year old slick homes that can and should be purchased for $250-$500, then all it does is create false expectations that ALL homes like that can and SHOULD be bought for that much. It won’t work with 90% of all wholesale sellers and will lead to despair and nothing bought.

I can wheel and deal with the best of them and have gotten some really good deals in the last few years, mostly from Greenpoint. However, this is a classic set-up for someone to complain on here later that “Lonnie’s book won’t work in my area”.

metoometoo . . . no pics, but - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 14, 2004 at 14:22:39:

bought Greentree repo in park for $500, 84 DW 2/2, negotiated back rent down to $1K, paid ~ 2K for new carpet/install, painting inside, haulout and UHaul rental . . .

Sold for 22K cash.

Suh-weet!

with 5k back lot rent??? (nt) - Posted by TeddyB_SC

Posted by TeddyB_SC on September 14, 2004 at 11:56:37:

x

How much did you offer? - Posted by Gregory (VA)

Posted by Gregory (VA) on September 14, 2004 at 14:29:26:

How much was your opening offer to Greentree?

Re: with 5k back lot rent??? (nt) - Posted by Tom (GA)

Posted by Tom (GA) on September 14, 2004 at 13:23:50:

$700 back lot rent and $1600 back taxes. Plus a couple grand in replacing the appliances and carpet. I’m into for $5k total. If I followed Daves advice I’d be into for $6500-$7500.

I just sold it for $19.5k, $2k down, $315.99/mo, 84 pmts.

So why the $5k in back lot rent comment? If there’s something you want to discuss, put it in the forum. Otherwise, keep the incorrect, cheap shots to yourself.

Tom

well, pardner . . . - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 14, 2004 at 15:29:41:

in this business, the opening is never an offer.

Even with financiers, ask the key question.

He said 2000, I said that the repairs would only allow me to justify paying around half of that - he said write it up and i’ll pass it by “corporate” - i did for 1000, they sent the purchase agreement that said I also had to pay all taxes and back rent, which was pretty steep, so i called back and said that I couldn’t do it for that AND pay the bills, that would only allow me to justify paying around half of that - so he said write it up.

i did

Ouch!!! - Posted by TeddyB_SC

Posted by TeddyB_SC on September 15, 2004 at 08:23:40:

Tom, Tom, Tom. No cheap shot intended buddy. That’s why there is ??? marks after the comment. I am inquiring, not insinuating. Notice the !!! marks after ouch. That shows how much you hurt my feelings by thinking I took a cheap shot at you.
In my area I can’t even get close to what you paid and that’s what several k’s of back lot rent and back taxes to boot. Not to mention their poor condition.
For the record, I think you are doing an outstanding job and will soon become one of the movers and shakers in this business.

Good Luck,
TeddyB_SC

I got to get the hookup - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 14, 2004 at 17:21:32:

to these repo deals.
I live very near a repo dealers lot and he gets a great deal of privilege.
Maybe a smear on his character?
Accuse him of being an Islamic Jihadist?

Actually, the big problem is his main salesman is doing the Lonnie deals with all the leftover “cheapy” Lonnie deals.

One time they had me go look at a home, and sold it to their salesman while I was gone.

If you made all that cash…can I have a grant?
Philip

Re: Ouch!!! - Posted by Tom (GA)

Posted by Tom (GA) on September 15, 2004 at 14:13:15:

Sorry Teddy,

It’s hard to take written text sometimes. I haven’t seen much from you on here (not that I’ve been on the MH board long) so I thought it might have been a one-liner snipe.

I?ve been reading the main board for a few years and there are a few that ruffle my feathers with their quips and I no longer read what they post, be it another riot-inciting one-liner, or useful information.

Please accept my deepest apologies.

Tom (GA)

Re: I got to get the hookup - Posted by Gregory (VA)

Posted by Gregory (VA) on September 14, 2004 at 17:27:35:

You did a good job with the negotiation.

In my case they won’t name a price at all. They want me to open with bid. What would be the best strategy for me? Should I open with a low bid of $250-500, or would that blacklist me?