HELP me analyze this possible hotel deal! - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on August 18, 2009 at 22:00:18:

Overpriced…rule of thumb…never pay more than 3 times gross for a hotel/motel. Also, use REVPAR to analyze any deal. Also, keep in mind that ALL hotels/motels have seen revenues drop by a 30% minimum in 2009. Get their YTD revenues and then call B.S. How do I know? 1. By reading the hotel industry trade rags. 2. We offer commercial loan workout and restructuring services and bank negotiated transactions, we are seeing these request for both a lot! 3. Family is a minority owner in a motel.

The other thing to be aware of is financing for hotels right now in this environment is non-existent. Even for flagged, interior corridor, and experienced operator. The traditional banks are not touching these deals, many of them are calling the notes due on borrowers to limit their exposure. How do I know this? As a private direct commercial lender, we see these deals all the time. Some we’ll finance, some we won’t.

Good Luck,

Mark

HELP me analyze this possible hotel deal! - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on August 17, 2009 at 05:08:21:

Here is a potential deal that an investor brought to me. Im thinking its way overpriced due to the NOI being low.

I just would like to know what I should be looking for when analyzing hotels/motels.

Here is the details so far… What else should I be asking or looking for?

>>

Price:$4,700,000

No.Rooms:143

Building Size:56,132

SFPrice/Room:$32,867.13

Property Type:Hotel & MotelProperty

Sub-type:Economy/ Limited Service

Property Use Type:Investment

Average Daily Rate:$65

Average Occupancy:35%

No. Stories:5

Year Built:1998

Financial Summary…

Actual Year

2008 Scheduled Gross Income $1,266,516

Operating Expenses $929,969

Net Operatating Income $336,547

Re: HELP me analyze this possible hotel deal! - Posted by Paris

Posted by Paris on August 27, 2009 at 21:09:22:

Hi Mark,

I think this is crazy high as well. However, it depends on what cap rate you are really looking for. Clearly, based on a 10% cap rate this isn’t so hot. :slight_smile: But if you’re willing to go with 6, maybe it’s ok. :slight_smile: The other thing is do you have absolutely all the costs, every nickel and dime in expenses? I think you certaily need that to come up with a really solid idea of value here. If you have all the costs I’d be glad to plug them into a really nice software that I have and send you the results. It’s an excel spreadsheet that it excellent at evaluating.

Good luck with this one!
Paris