He wants to sell me his mobile for $100? Why? - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on February 27, 2001 at 21:54:09:

Lonnie,

Well, I hope the travel show went well…

My daughter’s and I have been to Hong Kong/China 3 or 4 times now. The last time, however, was right before Hong Kong was turned back over to China. The atmosphere was completely different that time over.

I told my daughter that you were creating a board game. Please put me on the list - I would like to buy one as soon as it comes available. (P.S. My daughter said the kids (these are high schoolers by the way) and the teachers all liked the part of the game she called “mobile moat” the best. This is where all the miss-constructed deals, bad mobiles, etc. all went).

Lonnie, when I received the 2 books, I also received a flyer - I think it was a flyer - on moving mobile homes or developing mobile homes…something to that effect. I would like to find out how I can purchase that information. It seems to be pouring mobiles around here but they all have to be moved. The last 2 days alone I’ve had 2 phone calls with people wanting to give away their mobiles (they have built homes and want the mobiles out of the way) and I would like to start learning about moving them. Once I have a few under my belt I think I would like to try moving one just to get all the experience.

So, if you can suggest either the video or a book on moving mobiles, I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Jacque

He wants to sell me his mobile for $100? Why? - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on February 23, 2001 at 10:35:15:

I really need some help here with the pros and cons of taking this mobile.

I found this by driving by one of the mobile home parks. When I called on the ad the gentleman told me that he bought it for his step-daughter to live in and she was moving thats why they were selling it. He also didn’t want to deal with the mobile any longer because the mobile home park was closing and all the homes will have to be moved. He originally wanted a $1000 for it - way too much!

It’s a 1978 , 14X56 (can’t remember the brand off the top of my head) and is in fairly good shape (needs new flooring in the kitchen) and a good cleaning.

I was suppose to go and meet with him this past weekend but because it snowed we cancelled. I didn’t have the time to get back to him right away when he called again last night.

He said he has been running an ad in the newspaper for the last two weeks and has not received 1 call. He just doesn’t want this mobile any longer - his step-daughter has moved out and it is just sitting there vacant.

I told him that I wasn’t experienced in moving a mobile, had never done it and had some reservations because the mobile was older and between the two costs I wasn’t certain it would be cost effective.

Anyway, thats when he said, "Look, your the only one who has called on this mobile - my step-daughters out of it - and I don’t want the hassles (he’s an elderly gentleman). So, he wants to sell it to me for $100 since I have to move it.

I don’t know if I’m nervous about this because I’ve never moved a mobile and don’t know what is involved or if there is something that I should be looking out for here.

I have placed 3 phone calls with mobile home movers who are going to be giving me some bids. I called a park and left a message to get the costs and if they would accept an older mobile. If they do - and there are these types of older mobiles on the lot already then I could probably sell it for around $??? - ($7500 maybe?)…Some of the olders ones in the lot are listed around $7800 - $9900 with realtors but they haven’t sold, of course.

I understand from one mobile company that I also have to hire an electrician and have someone come and do the plumbing, etc. Seems like an awful lot and getting more and more expensive.

I don’t know - anyone got any opinions about all of this.

Confused near Seattle.

Jacque
Email: jacque383@hotmail.com or Jacque.O Donnell@wwu.edu

Suggestion… - Posted by Chuck-NY

Posted by Chuck-NY on February 24, 2001 at 20:28:29:

…seek out park managers or park owners
who are looking to improve their income.
See if you can find a park who would be willing
to pay for the move just to get an income producing
MH into their park. If not see if they will go
50/50. I have 2 different parks who will pay
100% of the cost of tear down, move & setup to
have a MH of mine moved into their park.
All I have to do is cover the cost of new skirting
and new steps front & rear…also take care of the
electrical & plumbing inspections…well worth
it when you save yourself $1,000+ on a move etc.

IF your
PMs can’t see the opportunity for them, then you
need to show them.

Re: He wants to sell me his mobile for $100? Why? - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on February 23, 2001 at 20:15:43:

Hi Jacque,

The reason he’s offering you the home for $100 is because he doesn’t want the headaches and problems of having it moved ,and he hasn’t been able to find a buyer. Also, he’s tired of paying lot rent, and may not have a park that will accept a 1978 model. This may, or may not be an opportunity for you. But my first reaction when someone who has never done a deal, and wants to cut their teeth on a move/reset, is don’t. But if you’re considering doing it, let me offer some advice.

First, find a park that will accept the home. If possible, have the park manager go with you and see it before it comes into their park. Then get 2-3 estimates from reliable movers for the move/reset. Have the mover itemize exactly what they will and won’t do, and a firm price. Bear in mind that movers normally don’t (at least in my area) do any electrical or AC hook-ups. You need a licensed contractor for this. There would also be additional charges for moving a shed or deck, and installing the skirting. If the old skirting can’t be reused, you will be looking at a new kit, $300-$400 plus installation.

You will need the proper permits, so make sure you get them before you move the home. An inspection will be necessary (in my area) before the electric can be turned on, and the home occupied. Everything has to be done in accordance to code. The home must have a data plate (and again, these are the regulations required in my area, yours may vary) that shows the home was manufactured to meet zone two requirements.

Jacque, if you had some previous experience, and knew what was involved, this would probably be a good deal. But I just feel reluctant to advise you to make your first deal one where it’s a move/reset. You could easily get discouraged and turned off of a great money making business. Why not watch someone else do a move/reset, (maybe this one) learn what’s involved, and be ready when another opportunity pops up. And it will.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Lonnie

Re: Suggestion… - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on February 24, 2001 at 22:25:41:

Hi Chuck,

Parks do that? Wow, I have received so many phone calls from folks wanting me to move their mobile in exchange for a great price. I never even thought about the possibility of them moving it and covering some of the expense. Guess it shows that I’m a “newbie”…LOL

I know what I’m going to do tomorrow while putting up more posters/signs.

Thanks,

Jacque

Re: He wants to sell me his mobile for $100? Why? - Posted by Jacque – WA

Posted by Jacque – WA on February 24, 2001 at 22:20:57:

Hi Lonnie,

Thank you for your honest opinion. After receiving the cost estimates for the move I?ve decided against moving it myself. I just don?t think with the age of the mobile that it would be worth it right now. The mobile doesn?t even have wheels or anything like that according to the moving company.

The nice thing about all of this is that the moving company ? individually owned ? holds classes on how to move them, what to expect, the process, etc. I?m signed up for the next class. I think this guy will definitely be an asset to my eventual mobile home business boom.

By the way, I received both of your books, thank you. They have been so helpful and informative. It has really changed my perspective on mobile homes ? amazing how many parks I passed on my home and never even noticed. I read through them both quickly the first time and am on my second way through.

Also, my daughter used ?Deals on Wheels? for a book report for school. She had to make a visual presentation and created a board game using ?Deals on Wheels?. She called it ?Deals, Wheels and Axles?. She created cards with difficult sellers, motivated sellers, unexpected expenses, moving the mobiles, buying/selling the mobiles (we made the mobiles out of inexpensive styrofoam)?.The game (on poster board) had mobile home parks, mobiles on land, mobile home dealerships, and mobiles that had to be moved. The other kids and teachers ate it up ? especially when she started the report with ?Go to school and learn a job - Buy a mobile and become financially independent.? Needless to say - my daughter is really excited about the weekends so that we can make and put up bandit signs, look at mobiles, and find those deals together.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and do you ever come to Seattle, WA to lecture?

Thanks,

Jacque

Re: He wants to sell me his mobile for $100? Why? - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on February 25, 2001 at 09:00:57:

Hi Jacque,

Glad to hear you passed on this deal. Use it as a learning experience and you will be much less likely to make a mistake when the opportunity pops up again. And it will.

And a hearty congratulations to your daughter for such a great idea for her school book report. (I love the name she came up with). I have a feeling she won’t be looking for a “job” when she finishes school.

Incidentally, and ironically, her idea for a “Deals On Wheels” board game has been in the planning/development stages for the past several months. Hopefully we can introduce the game at the CRE Convention and pre-convention workshop for a review/evaluation. Hope to have more on it later.

I would love to visit your town again Jacque, and I’ve been invited to speak at several groups in your area in the past, but just can’t get excited about sitting on a plane that long. It’s getting harder, and harder to release the seat belt on my lazy-boy. But I am starting to get a little itchy, even been reading some travel brochures lately. In fact, we’re going to a travel show today, and since I’ve been known to do things on the spur of the moment, who knows where we might wind up. Last time something like this happened, we wound up in China. So, who knows, we just might show up in your town someday.

I’m glad you liked the books, and very happy to learn that your daughter has such a creative mind at such an early age.

All the best,

Lonnie

I want to sell my used Vivo V20 for $100. Anyone interested ?