Has anyone used floating floor tile? Pros/Cons? - Posted by Auctioneer

Posted by Tony Colella on March 09, 2011 at 21:54:31:

Thanks Clinton

Has anyone used floating floor tile? Pros/Cons? - Posted by Auctioneer

Posted by Auctioneer on March 04, 2011 at 06:34:25:

A month or two ago we had a thread here about the most efficient and cost effective floor coverings in MH. Some prefered engineered Laminate, others vinyl where possible and I told of my strategy to buy good quality carpet cheap and replace as needed to give the place a crisp clean feel which I felt added to the sale-ability (is that a word?) and value. I also told of my strategy of stockpiling .50/ft ceramic tile for kitchens and baths.

Yesterday, I ran into a pretty good deal of a product called floating tile. Many of you I am sure are familiar with it. I have never considered it due to cost but this deal could be a game changer.

For those that don’t know it comes in a sheet of two 12 x 12 inch tiles adheared to a fiber board T&G backing that reguires no significant adheasive and more importantly requires no backerboard. Labor and time should be cut well more than half. The tools required still include a tile saw for cuts around cabinets, etc.

Can anyone share any experiences using this type of product? What are the Long term pros and cons? Any installation tricks? Any advice, comments, suggestions, questions are greatly appreciated!

Also I put one in a pan of water for several hrs just to see what would happen to the fiberboard backing. It did not appear to soak up much water and no swelling so far.

Thx, Karl

here is a floating tile floor - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on March 04, 2011 at 12:35:36:

did you mean this one?

LOL, good one… I deserved that!!! - Posted by Auctioneer

Posted by Auctioneer on March 04, 2011 at 14:59:12:

I’ll follow up on the brand. I actually don’t know and left the samples over at the job. The basic directions are right on the back of each 1’x2’ tile sheet. The grout lines are very thin. A grout caulk can be used instead of actual grout which would make it more flexible. I’ll get back to you! thx

which brand are you looking at Karl? - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on March 04, 2011 at 13:15:48:

Karl, could you post the brand? the manufacturer may have a website, or even a real video lol

A quick internet search showed that there are about two or three types of floating tile floors… exciting stuff

some are square tiles that click together, and then are grouted, some are laminate style like I think Karl was describing, and I even found one that was a rubber mat that the tiles were installed with adhesive, and grouted. that install was used for retail showrooms, for quick change out of the tiles… they just put a shovel under the edge of the mat, and folded over sections of the mat at the tile grout lines, and cut into sections for disposal… with the tiles still glued on…

Brenda (OH)

I would think all of the tiles would be able to flex some… I just wonder if the grouted ones would have the grout pop out if the home moved in the winter and spring…

Re: which brand are you looking at Karl? - Posted by Auctioneer

Posted by Auctioneer on March 09, 2011 at 20:29:04:

Brenda, I finally found the brand. It’s Edge Flooring and I’ve done some internet research and found out some not so good things. I think I will pass on it. I’m discussing with my maintenace guy Clinton’s idea discussed below. My only real concern is that it may be too institutional looking for the majority of my rental properties but doable for the lower end MHs I think.

Re: which brand are you looking at Karl? - Posted by Clinton

Posted by Clinton on March 05, 2011 at 16:27:10:

I have gone to 2 part garage floor epoxy for all kitchen and bathroom floors in my rentals. Screw down a new layer of luan with troweled on adhesive backing, caulk all seams and around cabinets and baseboards then prime and paint a heavy coat of epoxy then add the color chips. $69 per gallon (250 sq. ft. of coverage) + primer and luan so it is cheaper, looks good and like my dad said “wears about like a hog’s nose”. When the tenants move just mop with de-greaser and re-epoxy.
Clinton

baseboard question - Posted by Auctioneer

Posted by Auctioneer on March 10, 2011 at 06:14:30:

Clinton, thanks for sharing this info. It seems to have sparked a paradiegm shift amoung many of us. I am thinking of trying it myself. I noticed from your pictures that you used conventional baseboard in the bath. On baths that I tile I usually have my guy cut tiles in half or salvage damaged tiles and use those as base board in the bath. What I am wondering is how we could incorporate the baseboard into part of this epoxy floor for added LL friendliness. My thoughts are to just continue with the 5 to 6 inch tile and cover with the epoxy at the same time we paint the floor or the standard commercial style rubber like base. It has the curved bottom which might make a smoother looking transition after being epoxed. Of course all seams would need to be caulked either way.

What are your thoughts??? Anyone else have a thought???

Re: which brand are you looking at Karl? - Posted by Michael(KCMO)

Posted by Michael(KCMO) on March 05, 2011 at 19:51:46:

Clinton,

Now that’s a novel idea I had heard or thought of before. Seems logical. I’m wondering how nice it looks in a kitchen or bath, though.

You don’t happen to have any photos posted anywhere, do you?

Thanks,
Michael(KCMO)

Re: baseboard question - Posted by Clinton

Posted by Clinton on March 10, 2011 at 17:24:46:

The base in the bathroom pictures is left over treated 1x6 from a deck job I recently did. I have used the rubber base before and have found the adhesive isn’t up to par for bathrooms. I generally just use treated 1 x material but you could easily prime and caulk the base in before you did the epoxy floor then bring the epoxy up to the top of the base. Just don’t use treated material for the base if you are going to epoxy it as the epoxy won’t adhere. I made that mistake on my first boat.
Clinton

Re: which brand are you looking at Karl? - Posted by Clinton

Posted by Clinton on March 06, 2011 at 17:42:15:

Here is a link to some pics of the kitchen and bathroom of one of my sect. 8 house I did last week. I use the same finishes in my mobiles also: http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/clintonallanbeck/2732%20Surrey/
Thanks
Clinton

Re: which brand are you looking at Karl? - Posted by clinton

Posted by clinton on March 06, 2011 at 14:07:16:

Michael, I don’t have any photos posted anywhere but I emailed you some from a kitchen and bathroom I did last week. I have more and can post them up if you let me know how to post them. Thanks. Clinton

Re: baseboard question - Posted by Auctionner

Posted by Auctionner on March 11, 2011 at 06:52:21:

Clinton, you make some good points. I have just noticed that many of the box stores we have discussed use something that is curved where the base meets the floor and the epoxy covers both as though they are one. I just haven’t figured out what they are using. I guess what I like about the cut tile base is the 1/4 inch look vs. the 3/4 (One by) look.

While you mention the painting of treated lumber pitfall let me also remind those that don’t know… When using treated lumber, all fastners must be made of something that is resistant to corrosion caused by the copper sulfate used in the treatment of lumber. In other words do not use regular nails/screws or even zinc coated. Hot Dipped galvanized work well but finally a fastner (I belive called Deck Mate) is sold at the Home Depot and Lowes in the Decking dept. This is especially important for porches, plates, piers, etc. Regular nails/screw will corrode away in a matter of a few years leaving nothing holding the porch together.

The copper sulfate replaced the old active ingredient about 7 years ago due to EPA concerns over cancer causing carcinogens. Way off base now but since the subject of treated wood came up…

Re: which brand are you looking at Karl? - Posted by Michael(KCMO)

Posted by Michael(KCMO) on March 07, 2011 at 20:50:04:

Clinton,

Thanks for sharing!

Michael(KCMO)

I think I have found a new LL-friendly repair - Posted by Steve-WA`

Posted by Steve-WA` on March 07, 2011 at 18:44:12:

that looks awesome - I will cost it out, but I’m betting that it will be cheaper than lino!!! Will probably try it out on the next floor redo

THIS is the beauty of internet!

need a password - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on March 07, 2011 at 17:49:54:

cant get into your photobucket - and a lot of people are going to want to see this

Re: I think I have found a new LL-friendly repair - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on March 07, 2011 at 20:04:40:

Sweet I love landlord friendly repairs.

I am investigating a new one myself. I am in the process of buying a land/home property that has had this new idea done but I have not yet had a chance to try it out yet for myself either but will let you know.

Mine is for walls and cabinets.

Tony

Re: need a password - Posted by Clinton

Posted by Clinton on March 07, 2011 at 18:34:25:

Sorry about that. I’m not all that interweb savvy. The password is fishboat. It is the 2732 surrey album.
clinton

Home Depot - Posted by Auctioneer

Posted by Auctioneer on March 08, 2011 at 06:32:20:

At the risk of getting too personal…while shopping at the local home depot the other day, I needed to visit the men’s room. Ok, I know, TMI…

While starring at the wall, It dawned on me that Home Depot had basically done this to the walls of the restroom. They probably covered the standard plastic panels.

Unfortunatley, I accidently let out a chuckle upon the realization of this while still facing the wall and subsequently received some odd looks as I was washing my hands.

Re: Home Depot - Posted by Michael(KCMO)

Posted by Michael(KCMO) on March 08, 2011 at 09:54:34:

Now that you mention it, most any public restroom is a lesson in “landlord friendly” repair/upgrades. Well, except for most gas station restrooms!

Just think of the last time you visited the facilities in McDonald’s, Taco Bell, Home Depot/Lowe’s, etc. With their choices of wall and floor covering surfaces, you could basically come in with a pressure washer and hose down the whole place!

That’s what I call Landlord Friendly!

Michael(KCMO)