Has anyone got Contractor lock down clause? - Posted by Sam

Posted by Marc NJ on January 31, 2004 at 23:35:36:

I’ve been burned by a couple of contractors, they even signed my contractor agreement that is in Bronchick’s course. The problem is that you will have a hard time getting them to court, and if you do suceed in getting a judgement, by default or any other way, just try to collect it.
IMHO it is best Not to give the contractor a lot of money up front, then pay them weekly or at the end of the job.
It is just plain wrong that the courts let these guys get away with taking a deposit and doing very little work, or not doing anything at all, its a civil charge and not much can be done when they do walk.
I had one contractor take a 7K deposit, tore a roof off and did not come back, 3 weeks went by and I had to hire someone else to finish the job. The worst part of this is that that same contarctor did 50-60K in work for me the year before this happened, so he basically f*#ked himself. But does that matter , NO, I’m out the money and have my attorney on his butt. This guy signed an agreement that stated he was penalized 200 dollars a day if not completed by a certain date.
Do Not give them large deposits!!!Period! That seems to work best.
Hope this helps, and thanks for letting me vent.

Marc NJ

Has anyone got Contractor lock down clause? - Posted by Sam

Posted by Sam on January 31, 2004 at 11:05:13:

I have had many cases where contractors back out of the repair after a while.
Has someone successful writing a contract with them so that they can’t back out later and are bound to finish the work in timely manner.

Re: Has anyone got Contractor lock down clause? - Posted by Jim Fox

Posted by Jim Fox on January 31, 2004 at 11:17:57:

Do a search here. I’ve posted it several times.

Re: Search for what words? Please - Posted by Sam

Posted by Sam on January 31, 2004 at 14:13:00:

nt

Re: Search for what words? Please - Posted by Jim Fox

Posted by Jim Fox on January 31, 2004 at 15:18:37:

Search engine is lame.

What I do…

10% penalty if they fail to meet agreed upon date plus actual expenses and costs, including, but not limited to… missed opportunity, lost rent, attorney fees, court costs, filing fees, storage, materials, labor, transportation, etc.

Only had to enforce it one time but my attorney got me every penny and the contractor had to complete the work to my satisfaction.