hardwood floors-cover or finish - Posted by Marty

Posted by Gunn(Ga) on October 30, 2003 at 16:28:02:

Coley Flooring (706)235-4278
They are in Rome, Ga and I don’t think they will go into the Atlanta area. It’s a small company, the owner has been doing this for over 40 years and is scaling back on his business. He does a great job at a good price

hardwood floors-cover or finish - Posted by Marty

Posted by Marty on October 30, 2003 at 10:55:22:

Hello all,

Was wondering what most rehabbers did with hardwood floors in decent shape. Do you cover them with carpeting or do you finish them? I have a house I will be retailing that has hardwood floors and I am having difficulty deciding between carpeting or refinishing.
Your thoughts?

Thanks
Marty

Re: hardwood floors-cover or finish - Posted by JoeS

Posted by JoeS on October 31, 2003 at 06:16:29:

Years ago I used to cover them up with neutral carpeting but now I refinish them myself. I rent an 18" buffer and black paper from Taylor rental, sand everything in the house, the next day I vacuum and proceed to poly. I use a fast-drying oil based poly by ZAR and have had great results…3 coats.

Re: hardwood floors-cover or finish - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on October 30, 2003 at 20:50:36:

Marty,

It depends on your market. Me? Well, I like hardwood floors. My buyers? Not so much. My buyers are probably living with their parents or renting…and they have hardwood floors (which probably aren’t in very good shape).

Sometimes they want nice hardwood. Most times, the love brand new, clean, bright carpet.

If you’re doing higher end rehabs, hardwood might be the preference. Working class buyers probably prefer carpet.

One more thing. Getting floors carpeted is as easy as a phone call and, if you have a half-way decent installer, they always look good. Refinishing hardwood is much trickier. I’ve done a handful and they can look pretty blah if the guy isn’t real good at it. Carpet is just so much simpler and less risky.

Ron Guy

Re: hardwood floors-cover or finish - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on October 30, 2003 at 11:47:25:

I’ve always covered hardwood floors in my rehabs, mostly because they were damaged or there were little waves here and there that woulda been tough to fix inexpensively.

I have a house I’m starting next Monday that has hardwood throughout. I’m going to refinish the living area, and hallway if I don’t have to replace too many pieces. Bedrooms are getting carpet.

I have another at the end of November that has hardwoods that just need to be cleaned. I must say that hardwoods look WAY better in a slicked-out house.

I had a coupla houses where I pulled up carpet and replaced with parquet in dining areas that were right off the entryway.

For me it boils down to cost. I would prefer to finish hardwoods if they’ll be perfect, and if it doesn’t cost much more than carpet.

I recall two projects last year where I wish I would have refinished the floors. I think the houses would have sold much quicker if I had. There are some neighborhoods (usually ones with old houses and mature trees) where people want and expect hardwood.

My thoughts.

Re: hardwood floors-cover or finish - Posted by Gunn(Ga)

Posted by Gunn(Ga) on October 30, 2003 at 11:43:00:

I had the same choice to make on the rehab I’m finishing up. It came down to money. If I could get the hardwood refinished for the same price or slightly more than carpet, then I wanted the wood refinished.
I found someone who would refinish the hardwood for 1.10 per sqft, so that’s what I went with.

Re: hardwood floors-cover or finish - Posted by Helen

Posted by Helen on October 30, 2003 at 16:04:21:

Would you pass on the name of the floor refinisher? Did they do a good job or a great job. I’m in the ATL area. Hope your refinisher is also.