got the heating duct unclogged.... - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by joe–ga on April 18, 2009 at 21:10:23:

just dont run your hand down a duct… I have vacuumed out needles,and all kinds of stuff you really wouldnt want to get to close to

got the heating duct unclogged… - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on April 15, 2009 at 15:10:52:

I ended up having to send my 25 ft electrical fish tape through the clog, attach a 1/4 rope, and a ceiling fan cleaning brush to that… and pull away… the water bottles, pop cans, dog hair, kleenexes, dog food cans etc came out pretty well. a lot of the crumbly stuff only came out if something soft was behind it.

I realized after fishing the rope through the second time, I could make a circle of the rope, and pull the brush through on the loop again and again. I vacuumned in between turns with the brush.

the brush is the type that you put the whole ceiling fan blade into the hole in the center and it cleans the top and bottom of the fin in one pull. it looks like a toilet cleaning brush on steriods. it is about 5 by 8 inch oval shape, bristle brush with the twisted metal holding the bristles in place. I got mine at harbor freight for under 10 dollars.

that brush had enough give to be able to pop it down through the 4 by 8 inch opening.

I did have to remove several of the collars that connect the vents to the duct, mostly because i was getting the heck scratched out of me if I left them on while feeding the vacumn hose down it. It is not too big a hassle to put them back in place. (at least, it would not have been if the air compressor regulator valve had not broke while I was using the stapler sigh)

It was amazing and disgusting to see what was down in those vents… I am so happy I did not have to cut the underbelly and into the duct to get the two bad clogs out.

Brenda (OH)