Getting License - Posted by Berwyn

Posted by Michael Ryan on December 18, 1998 at 15:13:38:

Go to your yellow pages, if you are in an outlying area, try the larger cities.

Getting License - Posted by Berwyn

Posted by Berwyn on December 18, 1998 at 14:53:00:

OK, this will probably sound like a dumb newbie question, but consider the source.
What kind of school does one attend to prepare for a real estate licence? I just checked my state’s requirements (North Dakota) and for a salesperson’s licence they require 30 hours of classroom instruction or the equivalent in correspondance instruction. The local University calalog doesn’t show a course of study in real estatate. Are there “Real Estate Schools?” Where does one shop for the education? Or do you just find a broker to hire you and attend the School of Hard Knocks?
Not that I’m looking to get licenced in the forseeable future, but the education involved could be helpful.

Re: Getting License - Posted by George

Posted by George on December 19, 1998 at 21:23:53:

In NJ it’s 75 hours at a state licensed school. If you go to a broker, they’ll hire you because it’s strict commission and as long as you don’t look and act like a mass murderer, they have little to lose. The course would have cost me $300, but by going through a broker it only cost $99. Then I think I had to pay $60 for the state exam and $200 for a two year license. The education is worth it even if you aren’t going to be a salesperson. Plus you’ll get it back and more as your split of the commission on any deal you do.

Re: Getting License - Posted by Carl (IL)

Posted by Carl (IL) on December 18, 1998 at 21:13:17:

In my area, the local community college offers a course that runs one semester, one night a week. This course does a good job preparing you for your RE License test and doesn’t cost much.

Re: Getting License - Posted by Kerry_IL

Posted by Kerry_IL on December 18, 1998 at 18:52:59:

Contact the state agency that regulates real estate in North Dakota. That may be who you already contacted and found out about the 30 hr. requirement.
They will have a list of schools in the state where you can take the courses. Make sure the school you select is on their list if you ultimately want a state license.


Re: Getting License - Posted by Doug

Posted by Doug on December 18, 1998 at 17:57:55:

I had to take a 45 hour Real Estate Education class and pass a test to get certificate to then go and take a state license exam…I dont know what the requirements are in other states but in mine (NY) thats what I had to do…
Doug Timko

Re: Getting License - Posted by MichaelR (NoVA)

Posted by MichaelR (NoVA) on December 18, 1998 at 17:45:05:

Get one of the free home for sale magazines and look for a few of the larger RE Offices. Call them, and often they will have free “Your Career In RE” kind of seminars which you can attend, that will let you know the path you will need to take.


Re: Getting License - Posted by Cesar

Posted by Cesar on December 18, 1998 at 16:10:05:

Yes, there are Real Estate Schools where you must go to get certified to become a Realtor. Sometimes, you can go to a Broker, and they will reimburse your school costs if you agree to work with them for a year. If the yellow pages does not have anything, ask some of the Brokers or even Realtors in your area as to where to take the course.