Get rid of "stinkin thinkin" forever ! - Posted by JohnG

Posted by CurtNY on May 20, 2002 at 11:34:15:

nt

Get rid of “stinkin thinkin” forever ! - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on May 20, 2002 at 11:09:32:

This is a sort of “I told you so” post that I am motivated to post every year or so when the spirit moves me.

The most common thread that I see in posts here is the story of the reluctant spouse, the downgrading brother in law, or the slings and arrows of 99.9% of those we try and talk to about our real estate investment program. The people whose main job in life is to spread gloom and doom on every positive idea ever put forward.

I started in 1981. In 18 months I went from a wage earning slave to a millionaire on paper (see Ron Legrand sometime) to losing my house (s), my cadillac, my truck, my trailer, and even my lovely office furniture. Well, family, friends, and other “well wishers” fell over themselves to welcome me back to the world of “being average”. It was like rejoining a cult of “losers anonymous” - whining optional !!!

I, on the other hand, had other plans. In the ensuing 20 years I have built up a sizeable net worth as well as an income that allows me to work 1 day a week and I have what we call “passive income” to last me a lifetime.

What has really got me excited today is the fact that my no good- sheep stealing know it all brother in law just told me that he was looking at buying an investment property. I said nothing but I thought to myself "man, what about those hours and hours I talked to you about my struggle to get into the world of investment real estate 20 years ago and you laughed at me and totally ignored anything I was saying. Now, today, he is talking about doing the same thing. The only thing is that 20 years ago he could have started and he would be able to retire now instead of trying to start when the game is almost over.

So, as I relax in my secure world of knowing that whatever happens I am protected and I have a secure income for life, I want to tell every one out there who is starting and is ready to give up - Keep on pushing. And the more negative stories and so called “advice” you get from your well meaning friends and family - just keep plugging away. The fact is that most people don’t think and those who do think are usually thinking about the wrong things - You, on the other hand, if you are reading this post, are that one in a million that is not afraid to travel that lonely road that is not for the weak or the timid, the road that has many many obstacles, but at the end of the day, you will have arrived at that most glorious of places - self actualization - other wise known as freedom. Its a great place to be and the journey is more fun than the destination.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not - nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not - unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not - the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistance and determination alone are omnipotent.”

• Calvin Coolidge

Put that in your hat and look at it every single day !!

Thanks JohnG!! Great Stuff 4 Sure!!..:slight_smile: (NT) - Posted by Harold Whiteley

Posted by Harold Whiteley on May 20, 2002 at 15:29:21:

(NT)