Garage Epoxy for trailer floors?? - Posted by Miket/ nc

Posted by Tony Colella on July 13, 2011 at 18:55:55:

As is usually the case, I do things differently from most for some strange reason (I blame my parents).

I laminate the whole home, kitchen and baths. I have yet to have one damaged by water but if they do it wouldn’t cost me much to fix the kitchen. I try and work the boars so that they are parallel to the sink so that I can pull them up easier if necessary.

I don’t mind putting down these floors and can do it in very reasonable time. Ceramic tile took forever and I would have to come back the next day to grout then the next day to clean the grout (usually 3 times to make it look right). With these floors it is all done in one shot and people can move in immediately.

I don’t do carpet in bedrooms. If the carpet is ok when I do the rest of the house I make the decision and when the bedroom carpet is ruined I then go with the laminate. I cannot tell you how much I prefer getting one these homes back. So little to do, they look great and are re-rented quickly.

Tony

Garage Epoxy for trailer floors?? - Posted by Miket/ nc

Posted by Miket/ nc on July 13, 2011 at 06:41:05:

I saw on the main board where some guy was using garage epoxy on his floors in his rentals with great results. Anyone tried that? You can find the link on the main board under a thread titled "Going into a flea house. "

Re: Garage Epoxy for trailer floors?? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on July 13, 2011 at 08:24:40:

I think this is the link you were talking about.

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/1063.html

At $250 to reapply I wouldn’t find this to be a reasonable solution. I have been using the green backed laminate for years now and when a tenant moves there is no more flooring costs. Just mop lightly and go. I still get that rush of excitement (i.e. no hugging the urine stained carpet to haul it out) when I get one of these homes back because I know that I can have this home back on the market in a matter of hours not days or weeks.

I waited a couple of years watching Ryan and others go this route before I was willing to try and and now I would not and do not do anything else. I have tried commercial vinyl tile, ceramic tile, peel-n-stick tile, carpet, linoleum etc. and now replace all them with laminate.

The green board backing laminate I prefer I am able to buy for 99 cents per square foot at a mom and pop style supply store.

I have not found anything as durable, as quick to install and as easy to clean.

Just not having to “reapply” or replace anything the next time is a huge win for the bottom line and our time.

Tony

ps. I had seen something like this post many years ago about mobile homes but I don’t know what/if any followup revealed.

Re: Garage Epoxy for trailer floors?? - Posted by Miket/ nc

Posted by Miket/ nc on July 13, 2011 at 14:53:26:

Tony, They have laminate now at Lowes for .68 per sq. foot. I’m assuming that you are using something a little more water proof than that for the extra cost. Lowes does sell a product to apply to the seams in the kitchen and baths that supposedly makes their laminate usuable where it might get wet. Whats the name brand of the laminate you use?

Re: Garage Epoxy for trailer floors?? - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Glen (OH) on July 13, 2011 at 09:48:04:

Tony,

Do you do the entire home with the laminate or just kitchen, LR, and hall?

Glen (OH)

Re: Garage Epoxy for trailer floors?? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on July 13, 2011 at 19:00:29:

Yes, the laminate I use with the green backing is like a hard plastic backing that really stands up to water. I have cut pieces laying out next to my dumpster that have been in the weather since last winter and you could still use them. (Maybe I need to actually put them IN the dumpster). The brand name I believe is Miralco or something like that. I had posted about it in the past and had the name right in front of me.

I have not glued the seems but I believe Ryan has done this with good results. I simply have not yet found the need and if/when I do I may go that route.

Initially my thought was try it in the kitchen and then if it goes bad, tear up the bad and tile it… maybe 3 or 4 tiles deep and as long as the bad spot. Now I think I would replace the bad boards if any. I might have to glue these seems to make a transition as from time to time they do change the tongue and groove size.

Tony